12-22.5 How hard to find? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2005 » April 2005 » 12-22.5 How hard to find? « Previous Next »

Brian (Bigbusguy)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 4:49 pm:   

I looking for new tires for my bus . How hard are 12-22.5 to find at truck stops and how much more to buy then then non LP 11-24.5 if Im in the middle of no where? Also I dont want a tire size that will become hard to find.
I dont want some tire size that If I blow one up I will pay 2 times the price becouse its harder to find.
Im buying new rims so I can go any size 22.5 or 24.5 and Im way under weight.
Brian 4905
Jon W.

Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 5:27 pm:   

Virtually impossible to find 12.0-22.5 when on the road unless you can find a charter coach company willing to sell one.

I suspect you will never find a 315 - 22.5
Henry R. Bergman, Jr. (Henryofcj)

Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 5:46 pm:   

Jon W. has it right. My Crown Super Coach has 12R by 22.5 tires and I wish it did not.

Lots of 11R by 22.5 tires available, from 275, 295 and all the way to 315 and 325 sizes.

IF...you are well under weight front and rear, yeah, consider going to an 11 by 22.5 with the...

...appropriate width and ply rating. How about trying your local friendly truck recyling yard...

....(junk yard) and sees if they have some good condition (50% or more tread) take-offs removed...

....from wrecked or burned out highway trucks? May also get some tires mounted on Alcoa....

...alumimumiumimm wheels CHEAP! (inexpensive) Anyway, it is worth a try. The wrecker guy...

...can also include the necessary longer wheel nuts or perhaps drum studs too. Some folks will...

....say the 11R by 22.5 tires may ride rougher, but a lot of highway truck tolerate them. Good luck.
James Maxwell (Jmaxwell)

Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 5:47 pm:   

12-22.5 can be hard to find, and can get pricey when u do. Either a 11-22.5 or even the metric radial sizes are available readily, 11.22.5 being the most available and the cheaper of the two. Of the 24.5 size, 11 is also the most readily available.

The 11-22.5 is more than adequate for your application, but I would shop 16 ply instead of 14. Truth is though, I have yet to find The True Expert on tires. It is an industry running on a whole lot of personal opinion, some of which may be based on experience.
RCBishop

Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 8:50 pm:   

Depends on where you are and who you call, I suppose....on a trip last fall to Nova Scotia, I ruined two door side tandems (sidewall puncture from something...a corner I suppose). First call I made had them in stock while in Portland ME. ( Hankooks at about $300 per tire, balanced and mounted) Michelins, which would have matched the balance of the tandem group were $498...each, also in stock

No other experience to report.

FWIW
RCB
'64 Crown Supercoach (HWC)
Stephen Fessenden (Sffess)

Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 9:14 pm:   

Some dump trucks and some trailers use 12R22.5. They are not ONLY for buses. But I'm sure they are harder to find than 11R24.5s.
Stephen Fessenden (Sffess)

Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 9:18 pm:   

If 22.5 tires are available in any size they could be run on the tag. Just buy a cheap used 11R22.5 or whatever, swap wheels so it is on a tag and limp into a city big enough to have what you need. That's what I will do. I might buy a nearly worn out tire for the limping stage. Tags carry a lot less weight than steers and drives on my bus.
Sean Welsh (Sean)

Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 10:49 pm:   

Brian,

I've never had trouble finding anything I need in 12R22.5, including two road-service visits.

That being said, 11R24.5 is a more common tire.

The 22.5 wheels will give you a better ride. The 24.5 wheels will carry more weight, and take cheaper tires. I'd say, on average, $50 cheaper per tire for new, somewhat less for recaps or used. The 11R24.5 is also a taller tire, so you will get a bit more top-end speed (at the penalty of less low-end grunt).

Also, if you are light enough and have 8.25" rims (vs. 9"), you can go to an 11R22.5, which is cheaper than the 12R.

HTH,

-Sean
clark lane

Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 11:02 pm:   

I have had no problem finding 12r22.5 I blew one in Mcall Idaho and the dealer had 4 16 ply Toyo in stock.
FAST FRED

Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 6:13 am:   

Start by gouing to the truck stop and weighing both ends of your coach.

This will tell you what load cap you need and let you purchase the tires that are most suitable.

USING very heavy load carring tires , far above the loads you carry only makes for a rougher ride.

All the tire mfg have web sites , where you can find their most useable tires.

Caviat Emptor,

FAST FRED
Johnny

Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 11:35 am:   

I see many 10-wheel trash trucks running 12R22.5's (they look like recapped coach tires, frequently Goodyear Intercity Cruisers) on the drive axles--I wouldn't want one on my bus, however, since I've never seen one that WASN'T covered with curb gouges.

A 315/80R22.5 is the same size (+/- half an inch) as a 12R22.5 tire, & is probably easier to find.
mel 4104

Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 11:52 am:   

we all ways carry a good [80%] tread tire that has a steer pateran on it and NOT a bandag,the reason for this is if you have to change a front tire you can still run at your normal speed. how ever if you use a near wore out one and place it one the front you are now a safty hazard going down the road, this is when the painted warriors will stop you and check you over and if they find that worn tire they will not take the excuse that it is your spare and if it says bandag on it you are in real trouble. now you have to get a service truck out or a tow truck however you now have the fine to pay along with the service call . these could totat more that the cost of anew tire. some areas require that the front tires match both make and grove pateren. this i found out when checked by the high way patrol on I-5 in Cal. he just squared up his hat and said have a nice day.
Sean Welsh (Sean)

Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 12:51 pm:   

Johnny,

The 315/80R22.5 is actually a much harder to find tire than 12R22.5. Also, it is not available in nearly as many tread patterns.

The big advantage of the 315's is that they have a much higher load capacity, but that seems irrelevant here. The 315's run from $60 to $100 more per tire than 12R's (in any given brand/model).

Also, 315's require 9" rims, while many 22.5 coach wheels are 8.25".

In fact, I just upgraded my wheels from 8.25" units to 9" items explicitly so I can mount 315/80R22.5 tires at a later date -- but I have a very heavy coach ( > 45,000lbs).

-Sean
John that newguy

Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 7:10 pm:   

When you consider that near all new buses are using 315 80r 22.5
tires, I seriously doubt you'll have any problem finding any, no
matter where you go.. I bought 4 take-offs locally (Melbourne, Fl)
and can get as many as needed if I drive to Orlando.

They told me, they can be used on the same 8.25 rims as 12/22.5
if they're not going to be run at their maximum rated load. I'd
have to fill the bus with sand or garbage, to fit that qualification.

The 12/22.5 are available at the same sources I found the 315's at....

Info for finding proper tire/rim size:
http://www.accuridewheels.com/SafetyManual/section%20X.pdf
Sean Welsh (Sean)

Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 8:26 pm:   

JTNG,

You are right, most new coaches come with the 315's. However, I just replaced all of my tires, and I can tell you from experience that out of eight or nine shops I called, all but one had 12R22.5 in stock, and none had the 315's in stock (though all could get them).

I had plenty of time to wait for 315's, but not two months, which is how long I would have to wait for anything but a rib tire. I wanted block treads on the drivers, so I went with the 12R's. (Both Michelin and Goodyear told me they were 60-90 days out, minimum, on their new traction tires in 315, and no other brand even has them.)

Also, while the Accuride chart from the tire and rim association shows a variety of fitments (including 315/80R22.5 on 8.25" rims), not all tire makers bestow those approvals on all tires. Bridgestone/Firestone explicitly approves this fitment if you ask them, but Goodyear does not. It'll work, but you might have a warranty problem later if you have a problem with the tire (e.g. sidewall blowout).

Lastly, everyone should take notice of the speed ratings on the tires they are considering. I found a lot of 315/80R22.5 that were rated only to 55 or 60mph, though many manufacturers also allow you to up-rate the speed if you de-rate the load. Every maker is different and you need to look at each one's charts and fine print.

None of this is really relevant to Brian, who will certainly not need to spring for 315 tires on his 4905!
Brian (Bigbusguy)

Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 8:47 pm:   

I think I will go with 11.00-24.5 only a little taller depending on who's you buy. My 11.00-20 shows as 487. and the 24.5 show as 483 Yokahoma or toyo 479 RPM So what will 8 more RPM do to my speed a RPM's at 60 mph? the toyo's are chepper so i will get them.

Brian
John that newguy

Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 10:26 pm:   

Brian-

Since tires will last for awhile, the concern shouldn't be what's
available -now-, but what's going to be available judging by
the trend of the commercial users.

I would think the 315/80r/22.5 would be most likely be the
most popular tire for your vehicle 5 years from now....

The sidewalls are tougher. And since they're designed for heavier
loads if used with higher air pressure and rim width, they should
fare better in our environment

Just a thought...
Sean Welsh (Sean)

Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 10:29 pm:   

Brian,

Whatever you were turning at 60mph on your 487's, that same RPM will now give you 60.5 mph on 479's. (I know -- big deal.)

-Sean
David Dulmage (Daved)

Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 5:59 am:   

My spare is a steering tire. I replaced my front tires about a year ago and had no problem getting 12R-22.5 tires. I blew an inside dual last summer. I was right near a freeway exit which happened to have a truck tire shop within sight of it. They had 12R-22.5 tires in stock. I was back on the road with two replacement tires a little over an hour later.

Dave D

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration