Rate Post Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Doug Dickinson (Dougd470) (65.161.188.11)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 1:34 pm:   

Cheers Gary and all

While I fully agree with the idea of us not being bound by the ordinary use of any item, the issue here is WHY it is not rated for the use. Marine cable is not rated for RVs, but I would use it in a heartbeat. The WHY is that extension cords are not universally (sp?) constructed the same and therefore are not rated for the use. (This is per a call to NFPA - I am a member) Rubber insulation decays in air, and PVC insulation is prone to UV and other deterioration. Both would work for extension cords, but not for in-wall construction. That doesn't even account for things like derating or over-sizing. I don't know why marine cable is not rated for RVs. I will investigate further before I decide what route to take.

Anyway - to each their own. We do what works for US - and learn from discussions like this. One of the attractions of this hobby is to learn and try new and different things - otherwise it wouldn't be as much fun (to me at least).

Also - you are right about gold as a conductor. I had my chops busted by an employee over that very thing. Gold is usually used to have a corrosion-free connection.

(BTW - most coaches ARE designed to be converted - that's why they sell brand new shells for the purpose! Look at Prevost, MCI, Bluebird, etc).... but that's another thread... :-).

Doug
St Louis '83 MC9

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration