Orlando, Disney's Fort Wilderness Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » PLACES WE STAY ! » United States » Florida » Orlando, Disney's Fort Wilderness « Previous Next »

CoryDanes RTSII NE/IL (4.17.253.225)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 7:29 pm:   

I went through my second childhood at this park.
FORT WILDERNESS is South of Orlando in Buena Vista on hwy4, follow the signs to the Magic Kingdom Parking-Keep to the right at the booth, the Cast Member will direct you from there.
+ Campground is fully developed, trees, cement pad for parking, water, electric 15/30/50amp, dump sta at site. Disney says they can handle a 40' rig(reserve space), Receptacles for recycling everywhere. Phone and line for internet access at registration area.
+ Comfort station includes shower, toilet, washer/dryer.
+ Have pet kennels or can bring pet with to the pet loops. Walk area for pets by the water. Dog gets lost, contact reservations, never lost one yet.
+ Full security on site as well as fire dept, facilities.
+ Camp store, pool, tennis court, restaurant, dinner show(whoopdee do Revue-get reservations, Disneys' best dinner show fills up fast), RENTALS=electric cart, canoe, bicyle, physically challanged equipment.
+ Evening show/movie for kids, hay rides, walk paths, animal petting area.
+ Car Rental available
+ Disney transportation provided, boat to Magic Kingdom. BUS to Theme parks, Water parks, Downtown Disney(shopping & entertainment), Main bus hub to go to shopping, Magic Kingdom.
+ Also access to Disneys secret tours of the parks, check internet or contact Disney for tour info.
+ Evening fireworks at parks, and light show off shore from Fort Wilderness by the Boat Rental.
+ Don't forget if you get carried away buying stuff at the parks, they will send the parcels to the Campground store for you to pick up.
I have always been treated like a King at this Campground, always a pleasant time.
+$= Generally busy at all Holidays and Summer. Sponser different events throughout the year including wine testing, flower show etc.
+ Call for more detail. 1 407-W-DISNEY. AMERICAN EXPRESS is the official card of the Kingdom-ask about discounts.
jmaxwell (66.42.92.205)

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 3:48 am:   

Offer my wife a trip to anywhere in the world---she will pick DisneyWorld. Have stayed at Fort Wilderness 3 times. The newest area was designed for big rigs--some spots in the older loops are tough to impossible for a 40' wide-body. For anyone who has not been there, there is no comparison to DisneyLand. Stayed at the Plantation once and Buena Vista Village; did not enjoy it nearly as much as in the bus at FW.
David & Lorna Schinske (Davidschinske) (65.90.111.155)

Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2002 - 6:56 pm:   

We have stayed inside (Ft. Wilderness) and outside (Never Again!). Inside is definitely the best. Ft. Wilderness is an excellant example of what a campground should be. Sites are big enough for the big motorcoaches yet retain enough privacy for the tenters.
JohnL (64.41.43.148)

Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 12:11 pm:   

Whether you are staying at one of the remote loops or just want some transportation.. you will need a golf cart. The bike barn can get hectic and is very pricey. Consider planning a rental from outside the park. We have been doing this for 7-8 years now. The cart rental comany either meets us at the campground parking area and unloads a cart for us to use during our stay or I just buzz over to orlando and get the cart and trailer. Please be kosher with the trailers and outside carts, I have heard that disney is considering not allowing outside carts in anymore now.

I will hate myself later for sharing all this but I love this board.

have fun,
John
JohnL (64.41.43.148)

Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 12:15 pm:   

Another thing very worthy of mention... We went to disney at least 2-3 times a year for 4 years time.... if you think you will be re-visiting anytime within a year of your stay look into the ANNUAL park hopper passes. We have been buying annual passes for a few years now and have realized substantial savings over our old ways. There are a few other perks to annual pass purchase not offered to others, look into it.

~john
CoryDanes RTSII N/E Illinois (198.29.191.148)

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 2:12 am:   

Hey folks, I found Disneys "Official" site for Fort Wilderness. YOU WON'T BELEIEVE how long it took me to find this site.... anyway, here it is

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/resorts/ftwild.htm

You can make reservations and may be able to wander through some of the other pages...here is some of the site info - Enjoy - CoryDane

FORT WILDERNESS RESORT & CAMPGROUND
4510 N. Fort Wilderness Trail
Lake Buena Vista, FL, 32830-1000
407-824-2900

Maximum persons per room: 4 (plus child in crib)
Total Number of rooms: 2000
Price per night: From $49 (campsites) to $275 (Wilderness Cabins)
Room size: 504 sq. ft (Wilderness Cabins and Homes)

Credit Cards Accepted: American Express, Visa, MasterCard, and the Disney Credit Card.

Nestled away on a 750 acre cypress and pine forest between the Magic Kingdom and Epcot, sits the Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground. This resort offers the best of the outdoors and even offers one bedroom homes for those who prefer the "great indoors". There are 784 campsites ranging in length from 25' to 65', for tents, tent trailers and recreational vehicles.

For those who prefer more of the comforts of home, there are 408 Wilderness Homes and Cabins available. These homes are reminiscent of the old pioneer log homes. As you might expect "in the wild", there is a lot of wildlife to be seen at Fort Wilderness, such as rabbits, ducks, geese, deer, armadillos, and peacocks roaming the grounds. The Settlement Recreation Area is on Bay Lake and includes the marina, beach, Pioneer Hall and the Tri-Circle-D Ranch. The Settlement Trading Post sells gifts, sundries, groceries, snacks and beverages. The Meadows Recreation Area is in the center of Fort Wilderness. This area includes the Bike Barn (for rentals) and the Fort Wilderness waterways and bicycle trails. Swimming, tennis, volleyball and shuffleboard are all available at the Meadows Recreation complex. The Meadows Trading Post offers basically the same as the Settlement Trading Post, but includes a deli as well.

TRANSPORTATION: In keeping with the wilderness theme, motorized vehicle transportation within the grounds is prohibited unless entering or leaving the resort. Alternatives are bicycles, golf carts, the internal bus system or walking. Golf carts can be reserved up to one year in advance and supply is limited. The two internal buses are called Chip and Dale. The external
bus routes are the Crockett and Boone.

To get to:
Magic Kingdom -take an internal bus to the marina and take the Magic Kingdom boat

Epcot - take an external bus to the TTC and take the Epcot monorail

MGM - take an external bus to the TTC and take the MGM bus

Animal Kingdom/Blizzard Beach -take an internal bus to the Settlement Depot and take the AK/BB bus

Downtown Disney Marketplace, Pleasure Island,
Downtown Disney West Side, or Typhoon Lagoon -take an external bus to the TTC and take a bus from there.

SERVICES/AMENITIES:
Babysitting/Childcare Services
Valet Service Cleaning
Coin Laundry facilities
Express Check-out
Refillable Mugs
Complimentary newspapers (to the Homes/Cabins)
Voice Mail
Lockers
Shops: Settlement Trading Post (gifts, sundries, limited groceries)
Meadow Trading Post (gifts, sundries, limited groceries, deli)
Jerry H. (Coachconversion) (68.80.209.204)

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 11:39 am:   

Cory:

I wasn't sure ... had you stayed at the campground there? We're [somewhat] regulars at Disney ($$cha-ching$$), but well worth it, as the kids love it.

We drove through the campground last April and checked the ammenities. Very..very nice. I can't wait until our coach is complete so we too can camp (as it is) there.

FWIW,
Jerry
CoryDanes RTSII N/E ILLINOIS (4.17.253.241)

Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 12:27 am:   

Jerry
I have stayed at Disneys' Fort Wilderness every other year and sometimes every years since 1970.

If you have not yet enjoyed the 'Disney Magic', I'd say your time has come.

I realize that some of my comments are unbeleavable but true. on a scale of 1 to 5, where 5 would be the very best, Disney scores a 10. And I did'nt write it ALL down. That was why I'd been searching (for the last year) to find the site that mentions Disneys Fort Wilderness, not all Disney Resort sites have Fort Wilderness listed at all.

I am unsure how you were able to drive through Fort Wilderness as you have to use your "room" pass to get through the gate. If you were able to see, then I am sure you must have been impressed of the grounds, clean, well kept, plenty of amenities, a dinner show as well as a buffet style restaurant, stores, boat rentals, oh man.

I always bring my dogs and stay at the pet loop, but if you prefer, there is a kennel for your convenience, at Fort Wilderness and at all the Park Entrances.

I could go on, but do browse the Fort Wilderness Link I added, it is a good link to get to all of Disneys attractions AND IT ALSO MENTIONS THE TOURS like Back Stage and more (I highly recommend taking at least one of the tours, you will love it. (You won't beleive what Disney has hidden UNDER the Magic Kingdom).

And when you camp, you are gonna wonder where the bugs are, mosquitoes and such are nearly non existant. What a joy!

When you make reservations, use your American Express card, as it is "the official card of Walt Disney World" you will be offered discounts. Also, the former "Magic Kingdom Card Club", now called The Disney Club, can get you additional discount benefits, however, MKC was free, the Disney Club charges membership now.

As I said in one of the above postings, there is no comparison between Disneys' Fort Wilderness vs any other campground, that I have seen. Always fun, friendly, in the pet loops, everyone walks the dogs and chat with you. One family lost their dog, I told them to tell the reservations desk, Disney security was out all night and found him. They told the family that they never lost a dog yet. Have a grreat time and enjoy - CoryDane
CoryDaneRTSIIIL (198.29.191.148)

Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 5:33 am:   

Hey youse guys
If you are planning a trip to disney, see if this link can help you save some money....

HTTP://www.mousesavers.com/

I hope you save a bundle and have a fantastic time
cd
FAST FRED (63.208.87.65)

Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 3:27 pm:   

For folks with no stomach for 3 and 4 hour lines to get on the rides , I have found that the week before Christmas is a great time to go!

Walked by signs that read
"wait from this point 3hours 30 min".

Not all but most rides had NO ONE in front of us!!

Isnt easy to sked most vacations for this , but it works great.

FAST FRED
David & Lorna Schinske (Davidschinske) (206.148.180.144)

Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 9:28 am:   

Ft Wilderness Page
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/waltdisneyworld/resorts/resortindex?id=HRSFortWildernessRsrt

Diagram of Full Hook-up Campsite
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/waltdisneyworld/resorts/rooms/roomindex?id=FWRRoomLayout2Room

Diagram of Partial Hook-up (for Tents & Popups)
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/waltdisneyworld/resorts/rooms/roomindex?id=FWRRoomLayout3Room

It took a while to dawn on me that DizzyWold would consider a campsite a room! You would think that they would give each resort (especially the campground) its' own, much shorter, URL.

The middle of the week, while most kids are in school and the parents are working, is also a good time to go. We went one time at the beginning of the week. Sunday was packed but Monday it had thinned out enough to be comfortable and Tuesday was almost deserted (no lines anywhere!). We took the kids back the week before Christmas (during the week) and it wasn't very crowded. Although once was enough for my kids...The next time we went to FL, for their Christmas present, they chose Sea World (same $$ as DW). They said rides were just rides but a whale was something special.
CoryDaneRTSIIIL (4.17.253.121)

Posted on Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 1:48 pm:   

Folks, one of Disney greatest, but best, kept secrets are the Behind the Stage Tours.

Also, I posted for you because IT IS SO HARD TO FIND any discussion about the Behind The Scene Tours on the internet, and like at the Wilderness Resort, the tours are not advertised, you must ask about them.
Disney will let you tour almost anything depending on which tour you decide to take. They are ALL GREAT. All tours limited to availability.

I know one site is good but I have listed 3, because each one had something to offer that the others did not. Believe me a tour is an experience you won't soon forget. Yup, I'm A Disney Kid LOL! cd

Disney Tours (follow the links for more Stuff at Disney)
http://www.hiddenmickeys.org/WDW/Tours.html

Disney Tours (Castle)
http://www.affordabledisney.com/tours.html

Disney "Behind the Scenes" Tours (good discriptions/requirements)
http://www.mouseplanet.com/dtp/wdwguide/8_Everything_Else/other/guided_tours.htm

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration