Jeep tow car Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2004 » October 2004 » Jeep tow car « Previous Next »

mark4905

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 5:37 pm:   

can some one tell me which of the jeeps 4x4 transfer case i want to get to tow b 4 wheels down.i have seen a couple of different ones. one has 4 n 4low, and then there is the other ons wih more. thanks for the help. mark
TWODOGS (Twodogs)

Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 6:54 pm:   

as long as you can shift it into neutral on the 2wheel drive/four wheel drive selector
Smoky

Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 10:29 pm:   

either is ok to tow the only thing I would have to add is if it an automatic put trans in park if its a 5 speed put in 4th I tow a 96 cherokee with a 5 speed the other cool thing about a cherokee toad is that there is extra place in the tail lights to add an set of sockets run a flat four wire to the front

Smoky,
Lin

Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 10:46 pm:   

Did you really mean to put the automatic in park to tow it?
Gary McFarland (Gearheadgary)

Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 10:57 pm:   

Yes, you need to make sure the trans doesn't try to freewheel.

Also, I've been told recently that the "Anything with a Neutral on the Xfer case" is not true, although I always thought that was the case.

Gary
Lin

Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 1:07 am:   

I must be missing something here. Wouldn't towing a transmission in park ruin it?
Smoky

Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 2:07 am:   

not if the tranfer is in "n" in theroy you could ruin an auto by not towing in park
Smoky,
FAST FRED

Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 5:17 am:   

There is a large difference in the way the transfer case actually shifts.

Many folks do not recomend towing the 4wd that has a eletric transfer case shifting.

The recomendation is to tow ONLY the manual select transfer boxes.

Don't know why,

FAST FRED
Nick Morris (Nick3751)

Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 8:32 am:   

I would assume the reason is so you KNOW it's going to be in neutral. With all these new electric and automatic jobs you never know whta the computer actually tells the thing to do. I'll stick with manual hubs,tranny and transfer case. I've had too many hubs turn loose and transfer cases not lock up in a mud hole.
Johnny

Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 10:45 am:   

The one exception is a 1980-86 CJ-series Jeep. These have the Dana 300 case, which DOES NOT PUMP OIL IN NEUTRAL! They cannot be flat-towed.

Also, SOME early NP-231's (early YJ's & XJ's) lock the front & rear output shafts together in neutral.
Gary Carter

Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 4:01 pm:   

Here's how I do it.

Start engine

Put transfer case in Neutral

Shift transmission to drive to make sure the transfer case is in neutral.

Put transmission in Park

Shut off engine. Most cars stop in aux position, but our suzuki does not engage the steering wheel lock until key is removed so I go to the off position.

Check emergency brake (disengaged)

Turn fresh air intake to recurculate (keeps funes out of car).
Cliff (Floridacracker)

Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 5:16 pm:   

Johnny,

Just curious, but where did you get the info on the 1980-86 CJ7.

I have one and have been towing it flat for two years by basically doing exactly as Gary.

I dont remember where I got the information from, but I found it online that it was ok to tow flat.

I havn't had any problems, yet!

Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 6:01 pm:   

Johnny's a tow truck driver.

they know stuff us mere humans are not allowed to know.

Gary
David & Lorna Schinske (Davidschinske)

Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 7:37 pm:   

I have a Quadra-Trac Grand Cherokee 4X4 with automatic transmission. I think towing procedures are still the same. NOTE: My transfer case is labeled (top to bottom) 4 All-Time...N...4 Lo The Select-Trac (2WD...4 Part Time...4 Full Time...N...4 Lo)and Command-Trac (2WD...4 Part Time...N...4 Lo) are labeled slightly different but all have the N (Neutral) position for towing.

It's getting old but here is some info that may help you...
From my 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner's Manual

pg 154 RECREATIONAL TOWING (BEHIND MOTORHOME, ETC.) FOR 4X4 VEHICLES

CAUTION! Internal damage to the transfer case will occur if a front or rear wheel lift is used when recreational towing.

Use the following procedure to prepare your vehicle for towing.

CAUTION! It is necessary to follow these steps to be certain that the transfer case is fully in N (Neutral) before recreational towing to prevent damage to the internal parts.

1. Shift transmission into N (Neutral).

2. Shift transfer case lever into N (Neutral). All 4WD indicator lights and tires in the vehicle outline will turn off.

3. Shift manual transmission into gear or automatic transmission into D (Drive) and make sure there is no vehicle movement.

4. Turn ignition key to the unlocked OFF position to prevent steering column from locking.

5. Shift automatic transmission into P (Park).

WARNING! With the transfer case in N (Neutral) position, the vehicle could roll unexpectedly. The parking brake should always be applied when the driver is not in the vehicle.

6. Attach vehicle to the tow vehicle with tow bar.

CAUTION! Do not use a bumper mounted clamp-on tow bar on your vehicle. The bumper face will be damaged.

CAUTION! Do not disconnect rear prop shaft because fluid will leak from the transfer case and damage internal parts.

pg 155 RECREATIONAL TOWING FOR 2-WHEEL-DRIVE VEHICLES

In recreational towing, remove the rear driveshaft and place a cover plug on the rear of the transmission to retain fluid. Place the shift selector in P (Park). Before driving replace the rear driveshaft and check the automatic transmission for proper fluid level.

This is word-for-word from my owner's manual.
Lorna

Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 11:47 pm:   

I see a couple of things missing:

7. Release parking brake before towing.

Note: Quadra-Trac is known to blow up for no reason whatsoever, always stand clear.

:-) Sorry, couldn't resist. We used to have a lot of blown up quadra tracs laying around the shop and I mean completely blown up, non-rebuildable.

Gary
Johnny

Posted on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 9:59 am:   

"Johnny,

Just curious, but where did you get the info on the 1980-86 CJ7."

A guy that wrenched on Jeeps for 25+ years. He said he replaced plenty of Dana 300's (at $500+ a whack) because of this.

"I have one and have been towing it flat for two years by basically doing exactly as Gary."

You're VERY lucky it didn't seize up. More than likely, you wasted the rear bearing.

"I dont remember where I got the information from, but I found it online that it was ok to tow flat.

I havn't had any problems, yet!"

You're VERY lucky.

This is IF AND ONLY IF you have the original T-case. I've seen a few 1980-86's with Dana 20's, & I think a few early-80 models may have had factory 20's.
Johnny

Posted on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 10:01 am:   

Gary: If you're referring to the old (1976-79) Q-Tracs, they are totally different (sharing zero parts) than the new Quadra-Trac Grand Cherokees.

Personally, I like the old Q-Trac (well, except for the mandatory TH-400 tranny).

Posted on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 2:18 pm:   

Well...Lesseee....I quit turning a wrench in exchange for a screwdriver in '88....the 'sploded ones in the yard were probably 79 and earlier. they were the ones with the ribbed chaincase.

They were seriously grenaded.

Gary

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration