Leveling coach via cables or linear m... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2004 » July 2004 » Leveling coach via cables or linear motors « Previous Next »

H3Jim (68.107.62.94)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 7:49 pm:   

Fast Fred
A while back you indicated that you were working on a cable system through which you could level the coach. The cables would change the length of the stock leveling bars, so they could be used to level the coach. No changes in the air system, only adding a mechanical adjuster. If the cable were to be set at the original length, then the coach would perform as originally designed for over the road use. Great idea! and one that has piqued a lot of curiosity.

Sean Welsh saw your idea on the board, and has added an improvement since there was no room for cables. He used linear motors, basically an electrically controlled, variable length rod. He can level the coach while parked, or return the lengths to the original and drive as normal. I saw his coach at the BusNUSA rally last weekend. The convertor that he used, Infinity Coach, said they has some initial reservations about the setup, but it appears to be working flawlessly. The concern would be of adding a pound or two to the suspension support for the new control rods. Due to normal driving, and rapid wheel movement, that this increase in weight might stress the supports unduly. I suppose that it might be prudent to carry a backup in case of failure. Sean, my apology for telling about this, but it seems to me to be such a great idea!!

These solutions seem elegant to me in that they maximize the use of existing airbag load level design, and merely adds another much needed feature.

If any others that have completed such a system could provide feedback, or perhaps you armchair critics could comment in the interest of bettering our methods. This might become an inexpensive, universal way of dealing with a standard problem for converted, airbag coaches.
S.M. Heath (66.82.50.1)

Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 8:27 pm:   

I don't have that much experence with suspension "mods" but the "Screw-Jack" mechinisim like the one on that Air-Liner ruder/elevator that broke (due to wrong grease) comes to mind as a potentialy usefull and wold not leak. Just a passing thought. S.M. H.
Geoff (Geoff) (66.238.120.104)

Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 8:38 pm:   

I don't know what Sean's set-up cost him, but I achieved the same results using three electric solenoids (aka Skinner valves) per leveling valve and my system cost around $500 in parts. While driving the automatic leveling valves work normally, and while parked the solenoids may be activated to level the bus. Many people have installed solenoids like I have, and the biggest advantage to our system is how fast you can raise or lower the bus-- you can have a front kneeling switch, and you can pump air to the bags quickly to get over humps in driveways, front or rear.

I complemented Sean on designing his system-- I asked about using linear motors before Sean happened on the scene and nobody had tried the idea or knew what equipment to use to achieve the results. If Sean's design is priced reasonably, I am sure other's will want to try it out.

--Geoff
'82 RTS CA
Sean Welsh (Sean) (64.81.73.194)

Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 8:59 pm:   

Geoff,

I paid $50 each for the linear actuators (on eBay -- industrial take-outs in almost-new condition) and made the control box from about $20 in electronic parts, so I guess I'm at about $170 in parts. Infinity did all the welding and bracket fabrication for me, though, so I probably spent more than $500, but if you do your own cutting and welding, you'd be ahead of the game.

My system is a bit tricky to operate, in that there is a time delay between moving the actuator and the bags filling or exhausting to the selected setting. Some patience (and practice) is required. However, I could not effectively use the direct air type system because of complexities in the Neoplan ride-height system (it would require six change-over valves, four "regulating" valves and a proportioning valve, all with 3/8 orifices -- pricey, and plenty of opportunity for leaks).

-Sean
joe (64.222.167.51)

Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 9:33 pm:   

I have designed a cable actuated system (armchair critic) and have all the parts to build it including an extra leveling valve. When my bus gets out of the shop and back home I'll start building it. If you would like to see the drawing I'll send you a PDF of it.

Joe 4106-2119
FAST FRED (4.245.212.134)

Posted on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 5:26 am:   

GREAT that it works!!

Unfortunatly (for my coach ) most of the past year has been building up our power boat to livable standards.

Were off today for 5 or 6 weeks of a New England cruise to No Place in particular.

The good news that it works (after all why shouldnt it) will have me digging for the catalog with the heavy duty lockable push pull cable.

At about $50 each , it won't b cheap ,
but at least there wont be those miles of wire and air tubing hanging under the coach some folks are stuck with.

"I Love it when a Plan Comes Together!"

A Team

FAST FRED

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration