5 mile 7% grade (long post) Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2004 » March 2004 » 5 mile 7% grade (long post) « Previous Next »

ED-NJ (67.85.226.217)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 9:22 pm:   

In today's world, unfortunately, we hear of so many horror stories that we're afraid to think that people are ultimately honest and good at heart.....Took a little ride today, 118 miles each way. First time I brought the toad (91 explorer 4-door) on a tow dollie. About 100 miles into it, I was climbing a hill (Rt. 80 by Camelback in PA,) when a pickup pulled next to me flagging me over. He was pointing to the side waving hysterically. I checked all my gauges, everything was fine. I was pulling 55 mph in the right hand lane, (very impressive I thought). I figured I should pull over to see what was wrong. I thought since nothing was wrong on my end I would finish climbing the 7% grade at 55 and stop at the top.
Well this guy started weaving, cutting me off and hitting his brakes; you name it, he did it. Like I said all is fine on my end, 55mph on a 7% grade pulling a toad, not over-heating, whats going on?
At the top, pulling on to Rt. 380 I signaled right to pull over; well, this guy pulled over in front of me and stopped. No way could I stop that fast so I had to cut back out into traffic eratically, to avoid hitting him. Now I'm thinking, what's with this guy is something really wrong or is he just crazy? As I start to pull over again this guy pulls over behind me. Not needing his help and thinking of my family (what's to say he didn't have a gun or something?) I pull back onto the highway and continued on my way. Now he is really tryng to stop me. (for what, maybe a busnut?)
Ok, I pull over, hurry and jump out, before I barely get out the door, he is right there,(he says) "just wanted to tell you the strap over the right side tire on the tow dollie is off and dragging on the ground smacking the s$%t out of your car."He shook my hand; got back in his car and drove away. I guess it's time for a rear view camera. This good samaritin scared the c*@p out of me and saved my toad. It's scarey to think what could have happened if the toad would have come off the dolly. I guess in the end, we were lucky this guy was so persistent in stopping us. It goes to show, there's still concerned people in the world. I just wanted to share this event; thanks for listening ED-NJ
Jim G. - Ohio (199.35.237.112)

Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 9:42 pm:   

On I-75 north on the way home from Bussn' 2004, I was driving my van (not coach) and we saw sparks flying from behind a class-A pulling a toad 4 down. I pulled along side and saw part of the drawbar dragging the asphalt. Pulling ahead, I waved them over. We went back to find the nut came off the ball and the ball threads were grinding away on the pavement. They thanked me and away we went. When I pulled them over, I left plenty of room for a long stop. Those two chains kept the Jeep Cherokee from leaving the motorhome. This is a good lesson for all of us to make sure everything is in proper order. Jim G. - Ohio - 1979 RTS-II
Gary Stadler (Boogiethecat) (68.7.217.217)

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 12:05 am:   

I was once pulling my toad, a tiny Honda 600, behind my 40 footer. Same thing, someone went crazy trying to get my attention. After I stopped I found out why... the rear tire on the honda had blown, and I'd pulled it so far in that condition that the wheel AND brake drum were both ground flat all the way down to the axle!! Cost me a bundle to fix, and must have been quite a spark show for the folks behind me. I didn't feel a thing.

A tall antenna with a small light on the tip, mounted to the toad's bumper so I could see in it's "happy" position via my rear view mirror was the fix, but a rear view camera would even be better!

yup, best to know the status of what you're towing!!

gary
Phil Dumpster (24.16.243.37)

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 2:25 am:   

That's what the pre-trip inspection is for, but unless you have a CDL you probably have never heard of it. Most busnuts seem to think they aren't necessary anyway.

While the guy in Ed's story meant well, in some ways he went about trying to get him to stop in the wrong way. Even then, losing one strap from a tow dolly isn't a life-or-death emergency since the other one is still there holding the car on the dolly. It does mean there isn't a backup if that remaining strap fails.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration