UNCLE! Removing that *&^%$#@ latrine ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2004 » February 2004 » UNCLE! Removing that *&^%$#@ latrine tank! « Previous Next »

ChuckMC9 (Chucks) (66.167.165.5)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 7:33 pm:   

No one who knows me would consider me ham-fisted or prone to tug/yank/bend/demolish mechanical things. I'm afraid I would have shocked, had they witnessed my efforts of today.

OK, I give up. The otherwise great parts manual doesn't seem to cover this at all. There's one last snag that's keeping the assembly stuck and I don't know what to do next short of a chain saw solution.

I'm wore out now so this might not make sense, but can anyone shed any light on the method by which this dang thing is mounted? I've removed all piping, have liberated the top of the chute from the big stainless interior surround, have bashed the *&^% out of the top of the chute, removed both 'straps' on either side of the dang thing, tried to loosen the huge hose clamp between the chute and the tank. (which won't budge)

I gave up this evening and am seeking your kind counsel. The whole thing now wiggles 1" or so and it seems there is a hook or perhaps mounting situation forward of the chute (surely not under the floor!?) that's holding the forward end of the tank and not allowing it to either drop down or slide backward.

I should be able to get this myself but don't want to spend any more time than absolutely necessary studying the dang thing, cuz it STINKS!!! :( thankfully it is all drained and dry but the residual smell is enough to...well, those who have done it know.

I can't stand too many more hours of this part of the project!

Ideas, kind words, encouragement, magical powers to share?

MC9, btw.

-Chuck
Jerry Campbell (Jerry) (152.163.252.163)

Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 7:43 pm:   

I took a sawall with 8- 12inch blades cut in half and then a good bar to get the back half out then i found the back strip. that I did not find. this took about 45 mins, Good luck Jerry
Jerry Campbell (Jerry) (152.163.252.163)

Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 7:47 pm:   

There are 2 strips under the fiberglass that are hard to find 3/8 bolts Sorry
Peter Broadribb (Madbrit) (67.136.92.252)

Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 7:48 pm:   

Chuck,

Assuming it is held in the same as a MC-8, you have another 2 bolts to undo. Remove the fiberglass casing by breaking it off, and you will find another 2 bolts, one either side, further forward. Remove them and it will come out.

The only thing I did, to make it easier, was to use a diegrinder with a cut-off wheel and cut the chute about 4" down from the toilet bowl. We also took the dump hose and valve off too, to aid removal.

Peter.
ED-NJ (67.85.226.217)

Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 9:28 pm:   

The top solenoid valve for the tag air pressure. Is in the way of the tank coming out through the side access door. Remove them first to avoid breaking the coils off.
Jayjay (205.188.209.8)

Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 9:30 pm:   

Ron the Busnut has a toilet removal kit that is noisy, but effective. There are 4 sticks in the standard kit and 6 sticks in the heavy duty one. Fuse and caps are standard, but you can get the electric caps for only a few dollars more. UPS Haz-Mat shipping is a bit exorbitant though, but since USPS pussies won't take high deflagration explosives any more you don't have a choice. I've heard Luke or International Bus may have C-4 or Semtex, but that is only a rumor. Persistence is the only alternatiove to the above!!! ...JJ HI Mike
Telestar (142.59.79.109)

Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 9:46 pm:   

Hi Chuck,
acsess this site it will shed some light on the situation.
www.gumpydog.com/index.htm
ralph7 (208.148.72.109)

Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 10:12 pm:   

I've done 2 ,mci-7 an mc8 9's are the same remove dump hose an fan in eng compartment 2 3/8 bolts at angle on bulkhead 2 nearly straight up and the tank comes out without removing anything else. I split the up pipe an collapsed it. The inside piece needs an air chisle to get rivets on walls sides. ralph7

Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 10:19 pm:   

JayJ - I NEEDED some levity! Thank you!
Telestar, I already combed gumpy's site, as he is a master - however his tank had already been removed when he got his coach so couldn't help with this part of the job.
Ed, thanks for the warning. Yep, the valves are almost touching the bottom of the tank, and I will move out of the way.

And Peter, Ralph and Jerry, I had read something about removing the fiberglass and *tried* to but gave up because couldn't imagine anything under there that could be tied to anything. OK tomorrow I'll get the casing off and find those other last two sonofadog bolts. After that it should go 'thunk' as it falls then I'm taking a shotgun and have some fun with it! :) :)

Sincere thanks again, fellows!
-Chuck
Derek (24.85.245.203)

Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 2:05 am:   

Chuck: Gumpy removed the toilet from a 9, with documentation and pictures... I assume, from your name, that you've got a 9?

http://www.gumpydog.com/bus/MC9_WIP/Structural/Washroom_Removal/washroom_removal.htm

Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 9:06 am:   

Derek, thanks for another pointer to Craig's excellent article. I have relied on his tutelage for other parts of the project, but this aspect of the washroom removal job is *not* covered in his documentation because his tank was already removed when he got his coach.

I'm off to the demolition derby this morning!

Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 9:09 am:   

JayJay - Tony Soprano's boys reminded me that I can put one flare on top of an 8D under a 200A discharge and make the problem go away.
ChuckMC9 (Chucks) (69.3.74.15)

Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 7:21 pm:   

DONE DONE DONE!!! All components at the bottom of the dumpster now. Haven't been this filthy in 30 years!

Thanks again for your help and direction.

-Chuck
Telestar (142.59.79.109)

Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 11:35 pm:   

Congratulations Chuck, on getting filthy er, I mean getting the job done! Cheers, Emery
john w. roan (Chessie4905) (69.162.16.88)

Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 6:59 pm:   

Make sure you do a good cleaning of the area both inside ander under coach so you don't chance the ODOR woes of previous posts... Sometimes odor doesn't show up until it is damp out. Use an odor neutralizer such as the stuff sold in pet stores or something similar.Then use a sealer or preservative on wood after thoroughly dry. I think Fast Fred mentioned some.
TWO DOGS (67.251.50.214)

Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 10:32 pm:   

Atta boy Chuck

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration