WHERE'S MY BUS? Part 2 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » May 2003 » WHERE'S MY BUS? Part 2 « Previous Next »

R. TERRY (207.230.144.240)

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 3:24 am:   

Reporting the disappearance of my RTS to the police took two and a half hours. With what seemed to be misgivings, they finally decided to award it a Case Number and treat the situation as a bona fide stolen vehicle, but not without verbally issuing a load of official disclaimers about never getting it back. First, they said they were not going to look for it. Second, it’s not likely that anyone is going to be driving it around town. And third, it’s going to be an extremely rare event that they should happen across it, so don’t have any hopes of ever seeing it again.

Yeah? Do I just kiss it goodbye and walk off into the sunset, like, oh well, finders, keepers...?

Admittedly, it’s a confusing story. Here’s how it looks to the police.

Last August, a guy named Randy bought the now stolen city bus at a surplus auction. Later, he met with a guy named Randy who bought most of the other buses from the same auction. Randy had a shop where, mostly, he knocked buses down to sell for parts. He also had another lot further north where he stored buses he was trying to sell as a whole unit or for parts. Randy agreed to rent a space to Randy for $25 a month. Randy paid Randy $50 for November and December’s rent and asked where to send the money for January’s rent and any rent payments thereafter. Randy told him to come by the shop and pay him there.

In January, Randy did exactly that. But the other Randy was completely gone. There was no sign of any of Randy’s operation remaining at that location and no forwarding information was available.

Randy then went to the storage lot hoping to find Randy there. What he found was another guy named Randy who said the other Randy moved to Missouri and that he was taking over his operation. Randy told the new Randy about the rental arrangement with the other Randy, showed him which bus was his, and tried to make a rent payment. But the new Randy said he was going to upgrade the lot and the rent would be substantially more, like $75. Randy told him he couldn’t afford to pay that much and would have to remove the bus. The new Randy said not to worry about it just yet; he would let him know later and gave him his phone number, handwritten on the back of a discount card for a Mexican music store.

Before leaving the lot, however, the new Randy told Randy he wanted to buy the transit seats that he had removed from his bus, that he had a buyer for them in MEXICO. Randy said he’d give them to him for nothing if he would come pick them up. Randy gave the new Randy his for real business card and waited for the new Randy to come get the seats. He never did.

Weeks went by. Desperate to get rid of the seats, Randy began calling Randy at the number on the back of the Mexican music store discount card. Numerous messages were left but never a reply came.

Randy wondered how he was going to get his bus out of that lot; he could never reach the guy who had it. He began driving by the lot as often as possible, again hoping to find someone there. He had noticed that things occasionally changed on the lot, but his bus was always there.

Not the last time, though. All the buses were gone except three nasty bus carcasses and one ratty RTS full of equipment that Randy remembered seeing at the second Randy’s former shop. This big change apparently happened sometime during the previous week.

Immediately, Randy called the new Randy’s phone number on the Mexican discount card, leaving what he thought would be a futile message demanding to know where his bus was. To his surprise, the following day Randy, for the first time, returned Randy’s call but denied any knowledge as to the whereabouts of his bus. He said that Randy in Missouri put a mechanic’s lien on the bus for nonpayment of the rent and that HE had it. The new Randy then gave Randy the other Randy’s phone number.

Randy left several frantic messages on the Missouri Randy’s answering machine wanting his bus back. The next day Randy called back claiming he didn’t have the bus, never took it in the first place, and did not have a mechanic’s lien on the bus. It was Randy’s opinion that THE OTHER RANDY was the culprit. The Missouri Randy then advised the original Randy to call the police and report it stolen.

To be continued…

R. TERRY
xyz (65.29.64.100)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 5:34 am:   

Well that to bad !!!
You did have INS- right???
good luck
Paul Singleton (205.189.48.253)

Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 8:48 am:   

Your bus is probably in Mexico. I am in Ontario Canada and I know of an Orion bus that was purchased for $1500 Canadian and it was being driven to Mexico because he had a sale for it. The buyer claimed that even after the fuel cost and all the paper work at both borders he would still make money. This bus was an undesirable short Orion with a 6V-53 detroit and city gears. I can just imagine how long it took to get to Mexico!
Geoff (Geoff) (66.238.120.99)

Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 8:48 am:   

A lesson burned is a lesson learned, I always say...
Sam Sperbeck (206.230.105.249)

Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 2:48 pm:   

R. Terry,
With all these Randys in this saga I'm confused! Is the "R" in R. Terry one of the Randys in the story? Are you going to eventually tell us your connection to this incident? Are you trying to tell us that Randy may not be a good person to deal with? Is there an end to this story? I sure hope Randy finds his bus, whoever he is.
Thanks, Sam
Peter Broadribb (Madbrit) (65.73.228.211)

Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 3:11 pm:   

Hmmmm,

Sounded quite straight forward to me.

Randy (R.Terry) had a bus stored in Randy's (now known as Missouri Randy) yard and Randy (now known as Shady Randy) took over the yard and denies knowledge of R.Terry's bus which 'akrom' knows is being sold on the cheap in Mexico. Best we all ask 'akrom' how he knows of this part of the story?????

Confused? You will be...... (Soap)

Peter.
David & Lorna Schinske (Davidschinske) (64.24.236.38)

Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 7:53 pm:   

Life imitates TV. This does sound like something off of "Soap". I just can't believe someone would steal an unconverted bus. A converted one is hard enough to believe but an unconverted one?? I think that we will put a "kill switch" on our bus. Just to be on the safe side. Never know when a fan of "Speed" will steal a bus (high speed chase in a bus?)

Lorna
RJ Long (Rjlong) (24.127.74.29)

Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 9:48 pm:   

Lorna's idea of a kill switch is a good one, but until you get a "roundtuit", you can do several things:

~ If your coach has a battery disconnect switch, turn it off.

~ In the engine compartment, set the "front-off-rear" run switch to the center "off" position. Most folk aren't aware of the engine compartment switches, unless they're familiar with buses, and theives usually don't take the time to try and trouble-shoot something that doesn't start right away.

~ An easy afternoon project is to re-route the master switch "hot" lead thru another switch on the dash in such a way that the master is "dead" until the other switch is turned on. It is well-known in various industry circles that a large national carrier does this with the steplight switch. . . so don't use that one!! (And DON'T use the headlight or clearance light switches either - otherwise you might shut your bus down when winking your lights at a passing trucker!!)

HTH,

RJ
PD4106-2784
Fresno CA
David & Lorna Schinske (Davidschinske) (64.24.236.87)

Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 9:23 am:   

I would think whomever stole the bus has at least some basic knowledge of how one works. But I will tell David about this when I see him this weekend and discuss WHERE to put the kill switch. Prefferably somewhere out of the way so it isn't just turned on by random switching. We have already had a full tank of diesel siphoned out over the winter. Guess some one needed heating oil! Locking fuel caps will go on before next winter.
Geoff (Geoff) (66.238.120.18)

Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 10:45 am:   

The best "kill switch" is the battery disconnect. Turning off the battery switch and locking the battery compartment is the ultimate key, a simple starter disconnect in the driver's area can be bypassed at the rear of the bus. As far as R. Terry's bus goes, the highly suspected lot attendent had all the time in the world to plan and execute his crime.
Pete (205.188.208.39)

Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 12:00 pm:   

Not that I'd do it but think....if I were going to steal a bus..and there was no juice...I'd look for the battery turnoff firsy

I hid a toggle switch..unless you have a book and know where the wire is..or the stitch..it aint goin no where..

My rig has no key..1 on switch and the engine start button and its on..Its a no brainer..if you can hide something beyond that what the factory provides..your better off
Peter Broadribb (Madbrit) (65.37.88.146)

Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 12:14 pm:   

For security, use a fuel cut-off solenoid. It also doubles as an emergency off switch. I used to work for a gold bullion company and all our trucks had these high quality keyed metal boxes including the diesels which had the normal start switch removed. There was a hardened steel flexi-conduit all the way to the fuel solenoid. Over the top for our use but the principal can be used. The solenoid can be hidden anywhere in the fuel line and the key switch can be set into any panel with restricted access to its wiring. It could even be made to look like a compartment lock.

Peter.
Stephen Fessenden (Sffess) (65.134.2.135)

Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 2:42 pm:   

Rental cars in Santo Domingo used to have a fuel shut off key, one of the round coinbox type keys. The key operated the valve directly, no solenoid.
Paul Tillmann (Paultillmann) (24.105.194.162)

Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 2:44 pm:   

Sounds to me like an inside job between the new Randy and Missouri Randy. The bus, or portions thereof, are probably in Mexico and were there mere hours after you last saw the bus. It's amazing to me how you can't hardly count on or trust anyone these days. It seems as if you can't take care of what needs to be taken care of yourself, then don't bother with the project because it will turn out to be a disaster counting on others. If I couldn't store my buses at my home, then I probably wouldn't have them. Just my 2 cents worth. Sorry for your loss.

Paul
MC-5C
T6H5308A
Mike Stabler (Docdezl) (64.255.109.192)

Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 10:53 pm:   

Ok start thinking what it takes to get the engine to start and run and run to Mexxico. IE volts to or bale wire on skiner valve. Find volts to starter and a big screw driver zoooooom were off.

How to out smart a thief who has hours and hours to get IT going? Makes me go back to ASE testing for mechanics. My favorite to really mess them up was the rivet in the connection at the fuel filter (1/16 in. hole). She would run but not over 1200 rpm!!!

Try to fix something thats running? They get it out on the road and aimed at Mexico flying at very close to 16 mph. Randy even the police you have might take notice?

So I recomend not a shut off but a "lame" or "hobbel". Someone who shall remane insidious has an in/line ball valve that has a 3/32 hole drilled thru it some where in the fuel system feed line????? Forget to turn IT on half the time, 1/4 mile drive,won't shift to second?

smoke,rattle&,stink.......docdezl
Peter Broadribb (Madbrit) (216.67.217.4)

Posted on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 3:12 am:   

Well the plot thickens.......

Missouri Randy, alias Diesel Doc, has a Series 50 and 730 from an RTS for sale on Ebay #2414707660. Is this from your bus Randy?

Peter.

ps. Sorry for the Ebay reference Ian, but I thought it may be relevant at this time.
William Guire (Will) (216.82.156.166)

Posted on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 7:05 am:   

And according to an earlier post here from someone else who was ripped off, diesel-doc1 is Randy Fulkerson.
Charles Seaton (205.183.220.250)

Posted on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 7:56 am:   

Interesting. Just took a look at that E-Bay sale. RTS buses were not delivered with series 50 engines. It should be pretty easy to determine whether this is a take out from your bus. If it happens to be, go after the guy and keep us posted. Crooks have no place in our hobby. We all work too hard for our money.
DaveD (64.235.198.76)

Posted on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 7:28 pm:   

Any significance to the fact that the engine spec. label is in French and there also a reference to CAN (Canada?) on the label as well? RTS's were never certified for use in Canada, although there are RTS's in Canada they were ipmorted as far as I have been told when the rules weren't being stictly enforced.
RANDY FULKERSON (Rwf) (66.82.9.47)

Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 9:08 pm:   

It was brought to my attention that some derogatory things were being posted about me on this board. I want to take this opportunity to give my side of this story. Also, look for my new thread which will be titled "The Cost of Doing Business", which I will post after I post here.

I'm a little disappointed in the comments on this board by people who have never met me, talked to me or had any business dealings with me. Where I come from, stories like "Billy Bob's sisters' second cousin that knows a guy, that knows this other guy that heard of a guy that was ripped off by so and so" is nothing but gossip. I'm also disappointed that no one has posted anything in my defense. I know of at least 10 people that frequent this board that I have done business with. Maybe they are a little frightened of the mob mentality that some of these boards take on at times. I am thankful that someone was kind enough to forward this link to me so that I would have the opportunity to defend myself on this matter.

My name is Randy Fulkerson a.k.a. Missouri Randy a.k.a. Diesel-doc1 on Ebay. I like to think that I treat people fairly and am knowledgeable about my business (the bus business). You can check my feedback on Ebay and see that most people agree.

If ANYONE reading this thinks that they were ever treated unfairly by me, if anything I ever sold them or repaired for them was misrepresented, if I owe them anything or they feel they were ripped off, please respond here publicly firsthand. Tell your story! If you need to get in touch with me, my name is Randy Fulkerson. My address is RR 2 Box 125A, Cole Camp, MO 65325 (this is my street address!! I'm in Missouri on the corner of highway 65 and the P highway which is 12 miles south of Sedalia, MO and 100 miles north of Springfield, MO), my phone number is 660-668-3310, my cell phone is 660-287-2980. I have nothing to hide and am hiding from nobody.

I had a business in Phoenix, AZ called Just Buses of Arizona. This business bought and sold buses and bus parts. Back in August of 2002, we purchased 30 buses from the city of Phoenix. This is the same sale where "missing bus" Randy (now to be known as MBR) purchased his missing bus.

In September of 2002, MBR got my contact information from the city of Phoenix because he was looking for bus parts. I sold him a battery box door for his RTS and made sure that he had my phone number. He called me every couple of weeks or so for advice on his bus or more parts.

In November of 2002, MBR contacted me about storage for his RTS. In November, I was well on my way with my move to Missouri and was in the process of moving out of the yard where we scrapped and worked on buses. I informed MBR that we would be leaving the yard that he usually found me in. I let him know that I had a storage yard a few miles up the road and that I would, as a favor to him, a customer, store his bus in my storage yard. I also told MBR that I would not be responsible for his bus while it was stored because I had had vandalism/graffiti problems in the storage yard (not too long before this, someone broke into the yard and burned one of my buses and a 2001 Grand Am to the ground and attempted to burn other buses). This information was given to MBR. I had to have dogs in this yard to make it somewhat safe. He paid me the sum of $50 for November and December and had my phone number to contact me for future payments.

In late December 2002, MBR contacted me about January's payment. At that time, I informed him that I had made the hard decision to not continue with a presence in Phoenix and that I was going to focus all my attention on my new location in Missouri. I told MBR that he needed to contact Randy Ford who was taking over the yard as of the end of January. I let MBR know that storage would have to be worked out with Randy Ford (now known as RF). I did not rent this yard to RF. I put him in direct contact with the landlord that I had rented it from. I got him the same deal that I had with the agreement that I could continue to store my last few buses and three flat bed trailers of parts there until I could come back for them.

I guaranteed to the landlord that if anything happened to terminate the rental with RF, that I would make sure he was not left holding the bag with a big mess. The landlord called me in Missouri the second week of April, 2003 to tell me that he had given RF until April 25th to have all his stuff out of this storage yard. I think it had something to do with rent or the lack thereof. I went to Phoenix as soon as I could, which was April 20th, 2003. I hired a guy I use from CA and flew him in to meet me on the 21st to help me pull engines from 3 scrap buses and to help me clean up the storage yard. I made arrangements with a tow company in Phoenix that I work with to have 6 scrap buses removed by Monday, the 28th of April, 2003. I gave all this information to the landlord and put him in touch with the tow company so that there were not any misunderstandings. I even hired Mexican day laborers to pick up trash and junk left by RF. I saw very little of RF while I was in Phoenix for that week. I did not see MBR's bus while I was there nor did I give it any thought. We finished with everything I needed to do to keep my word to the landlord. On Friday, the 25th of April, 2003 we left with a 1984 Neoplan loaded with parts and a trailer behind my van with a 6V92/HT748 power pack and a Series 50/V730 RTS power pack. This is the one now on Ebay. The city of Phoenix had 3 of these and I bought them all. One I parted out and the Series 50 is now in a Laidlaw bus, another I sold complete to a guy that plans on pulling it and installing it in a 4905. The last one is the one I brought with me this last trip. I have all the legal documents to back this up. MBR's RTS had a DDEC 6V92/V730 just like in the other 27 buses that I had purchased.

Once I got back to Missouri and checked my messages on the 30th of April, 2003, I found that I had several panicked voice mails from MBR. I called him and he informed me that his bus was missing. He also informed me that RF had told him that I put a mechanic's lien on his bus for storage payments owed and that I had his bus. I was shocked! I told MBR that I had done no such thing. I told MBR that I knew nothing about his bus and that I had not seen it. I also informed him that he needed to contact RF because that was his yard after January, 2003 and that he should know what has gone on there. I have been 1,500 miles away in Missouri since January. MBR asked me what I thought that he should do. I told him that if his bus was missing and he did not know where it was at, that he should contact the police. I also gave him RF's phone number, the phone number of the landlord, the phone number of the tow truck driver that I used and anything else I thought would be helpful. This was the last I heard of this until someone was kind enough to inform me that I was being bashed on this board. I called MBR last night and asked if he was aware of the direction his post had gone and if he had had any luck with the police. He told me that he did not think that I had anything to do with this and that he did not think that he had implied so. He also told me that the police had talked to a guy that told them that he remembered MBR's bus and that while talking to RF at the storage yard one day, RF told him that it was HIS bus and he was taking it to Mexico. This is what I know of this situation. Please read my next post (a new thread) called "The Cost of Doing Business" which I will post shortly.

Randy Fulkerson
Alan Kline (206.28.236.117)

Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 11:00 pm:   

This is the 3 rd time I will tell of my dealings with R Fulkerson known as Just Busses of Arizona.
on 11\08\02 he had a add on busnuts for a 4 value head,jakebrake and alumun value cover for a dd 671 I called him he stated he wanted 700.00 for Item + shipping and the shipping was 235.00 from his shopto my address in Fl.He did not take mastercard so I sent him a certified cjheck on 11\27\02 from then on it was no getting in touch with him only on ans . machine on 12\30\02 I was down in Arcadia at a meet when a friend of mine with a Texas area code tele phone called and Randy did ans the phone and asked about my order and Randy stated he had run over his cell phone and was getting a replacement?and would make it a priorty to find out about my head!!The next time I got intouch was 1\21\03 he ststed he was in process of moving to Mo.and would surely get back to me that day .Well 5 months went by and was unable to contact Randy the resentments keep building up I dont't know what happened but today 5\13\03 FedEx dropped a letter off and it was a check from Randy a refund for the parts I never received I called him and surprize he ans. I said I had received the check thanked him and belive it or not have no more resentment thats my dealings with Mr. Fulkerson Paco Xpress
Dwight (67.213.8.230)

Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 1:12 am:   

I agree with Randy, that, I am satisfied with the final out come, I believe the cause of the entire problem was the freight company, with the change of freight company, I believe Randy's problems should lesson .... I am currently investigating the purchase of another rear end from Randy !! BUT maybe this time I wiil drive over there to pick it up !!! LOL ... now that he is closer to me ...
This Tread kind of sounds like the some news media !! assumsions of some ???
William Guire (Will) (216.82.156.189)

Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 1:42 am:   

I agree that the outcome for Al was good, but it was no assumption that Randy had his money for five months and that it was only returned today. What about this rumor Randy mentioned that Randy Ford stole the bus and took it to Mexico. Does he know that or is he just repeating something he heard?

Will
R. TERRY (207.230.144.240)

Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 3:29 am:   

ONE THING IS FOR SURE: At this time, we don't know who stole my RTS or where it is.

Is it in Mexico? The police thought that would be a best guess. Several other people I have talked with feel the same way, especially in light of the word "Mexico" popping up in several conversations about said bus and its seats and a clue or two here and there. But, right now, who knows?

If I had to put my money on the table this minute, I would concur with Randy Fulkerson's contention that he had nothing to do with the disappearance of my bus. Why would he? It seems to me he'd have too much to lose, too quickly, to pull a stunt that would almost instantly make him the lead suspect, and if found to be true, would ruin his life. From what he once told me, I think he loves his wife too much to run that risk. Frankly, I have no indication that he did have anything to do with it, not even by some remotely circumstantial thread.

Usually, a person comes under suspicion when things he says eventually don't add up. Randy Fulkerson's account of events as posted here in reply, parallels my experience of those same events exactly.

Remember the old "Banacek" TV series starring George Peppard? He played a private eye who was forever being hired to look for stuff that was too big to disappear right under your nose while you were watching, but seemingly always did. I'm like Banacek (except a LOT more handsome): I'm going to keep looking for that bus. And right now, all the arrows point in the same direction.

R. TERRY
Dwight (67.213.8.86)

Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 11:36 pm:   

Go for it Terry and,,,,
Carry a BIG STICK and Walk Softly !!!

O' to mr. William Guire ?? reread the post, Randy Ful. did not rumor that, Randy Ford stole the Bus and took it to Mexico, he was repeating what was told to him by Terry, that the police told Him A guy told them !!
William Guire (Will) (216.82.156.158)

Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 12:23 am:   

Dwight
I read the post right the first time. I'm just glad that everyone's happy and everything turned out well (except for the poor chap missing a bus, of coarse).

Will
toddVP (Tvp) (63.122.65.97)

Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 1:26 pm:   

hey ...

did you see this listing ???? this is the "new" Randy ... NOTHING to do with Randy Fulkerson and I'm pretty sure his name isn't RANDY !!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2415544690

I have a feeling that your bus is MUCH further south than mexico !! :( ...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration