Towing Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » April 2003 » Towing « Previous Next »

Jason (24.107.116.157)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 9:35 pm:   

ok, we want to tow our new town and country minivan behind our mci 9, but the problem is the front wheel drive. Is a remco transmission oil pump our only option? At this point it looks that way. What about brakes, maybe with a lighter weight RV but with our mci 9? Are brakes on the toad necessary? And finally, how do I keep the steering wheel from locking when I make a turn, do I have to leave the car keys in the ignition? Won't the battery die from the computer and such running on the car? Can I disconect the battery so that the key is in the ignition allowing the wheels to turn but the car will not be running in any way. If I do disconnect the battery will the odometer keep rolling? Thanks!
doug woodin (24.170.175.44)

Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 10:25 pm:   

I had the same questions last year when we needed to tow my wifes 98 Dodge mini-van. I checked out pumps for the trans, aux. brake systems,tow bars, wiring everything togeather, WAY too much hassle and expense. I bought a tow dolly , a set of tow lights from camping world[magnetic base just sticks to the rear of the van]. Got everything for under $700.00 total. Simple and works great.
James Robinson (Jjrbus) (68.27.7.91)

Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 3:56 pm:   

Many options try to check them all out, here is my 3 cents worth. There is also a front axle disconect. The pump can be moved from vehicle to vehicle, the disconnect is vehicle specific.
There are so many things out there on breakes, that I cant figure it out. But if you have a problem and you don't have brakes on the toad, the insurance co. probobly won"t know you.
Yes you have to leave the car keys in the ignition to keep the steering wheel unlocked, on my ford windstar there is a first notch that does not seem to drain any power, it's between off and where the running lights come on. What I have done is add abattery disconnect at the battery a cheap one that the cable is held on with a wing nut, after I set up van and lock all doors,(have more than one key when you do this)I disconnect the battery, just cause I want to.
I've hard wired my van for tail and brake lites but would not do it again, the magnetic type with 24V bulbs is the way I would go next time.
This is only my opinion, but if you do it my way you are obviously a person of above average intelligence.
Jim
Jason (24.107.116.157)

Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 6:37 pm:   

Jim do you have supp. brakes on your van?
James Robinson (Jjrbus) (68.27.24.116)

Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 7:44 am:   

No, but I plan on doing it someday
smoky (12.222.48.5)

Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 12:07 am:   

the A604/41TE automatic transaxle is a very unforgiving unit if your electric pump would quit for some reason your trans would be toast in about 25 miles. if you plan to flat tow the front axle disconnect is the better choice they work like a front axle lock out hub on a 4X4 if you decide on axle disconnect make sure that you tow with trans in park so trans wont float. personaly I like my cherokee that has a neutral on the transfer case

smoky
Gary Carter (68.26.239.113)

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 1:43 pm:   

I know of folks who have towed the Chrysler 604 Automatic transmission with no mods for thousands of miles by adding an extra pint of fluid.
The reason for this is the parts of the 604 that turn are still in oil when being towed and therefore lubricated.
That being said I still advise a pump as a number of people have burned the transmission oil because of over heating. Another friend finally put a pump on after having to change the transmission oil every few thousand miles.
So on this transmission the reason for the pump is to move the oil thru the radiator and therefore cool it.
Also, I deny any responsiblity for your transmission.
smoky (12.222.48.5)

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 9:00 pm:   

Guys, look with a very few exceptions (Honda&Saturn) automatic transmissions require pressureized fluid to lube the internal parts. I can not tell you how many times I seen perfectly good transmissions damaged by being towed I been on repairing transmissions for 18 years the front pump is NOT just to move oil through to cooler it first provides pressure to apply clutch packs it also pumps fluid to lube passages that lubes Planatary gears,sun gears,bushings,thrust washers and torrington bearings.flat towing this type of transmission with no oil pump would be like over filling your engine oil then disconecting your engine oil pump and having someone tow you down the road with your manual trans in gear (engine turning with no oil pressure)the reason saturns and hondas can be flat towed is that they are built like manual shift transmission with a counter gear and mainshaft and has clutch packs where the scynos would normaly be the a very neat little transaxle designed like a transmission from a scraper (earth mover) on a smaller scale

smoky
Jason (24.107.116.157)

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 12:14 am:   

Ok, this is what I am going to do to get the van ready for towing....
1) get a tow bracket
2) get a Remco lube pump (comes with light attach right?)
3) get a tow bar
4) when money presents itself get supp. brakes

Does this sound like a plan?
FAST FRED (209.26.115.217)

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 5:53 am:   

Does this sound like a plan?

Sure , but with a light stick shift car,

1) get a tow bracket ,
and a wire for the lights is all you need.

FAST FRED
Smoky (12.222.48.5)

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 10:58 pm:   

Jason, just went to remco's web site this looks like a nice setup with a moniter system to let you know that the system is operating properly. the older/homemade systems I've seen in the past did not have this feature. Fred, some of youngsters still have kids and I don't think my teenaged son would fit in the back seat of a vw rabbit very well also its nice to use the wifes ride as the toad so she can drive you around

Smoky
dougthebonifiedbusnut (136.217.0.198)

Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 1:54 pm:   

better listen to smokey, those 604 xmns are made of paper to begin with put 3 in my caravan wont own another one cause of that cheers from sunny bosnia

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration