Heat Loss Calculations, Insulation fo... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2010 » January 2010 » Heat Loss Calculations, Insulation for HVAC? « Previous Next »

Buswarrior (Buswarrior)
Registered Member
Username: Buswarrior

Post Number: 1781
Posted From: 76.71.104.249

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 9:26 pm:   

Hello busnuts

In the interest of furthering the busnut science, I conducted some heating experiments at the northern cold weather testing ground with my MC8.

A number of electric, fan forced, 1500 watt heaters, run on the ends of extension cords fed in the driver's toll window, and squeezed shut. Placed on the floor, evenly distributed fore and aft, and aimed fore or aft, as I felt inclined for an attempt at even distribution.

Fahrenheit is used, for the benefit of my southern neighbours.
If you can spell Celsius, you also know how to convert?

An IR temp gun aimed all over to SWAG some temperatures.

Coach is sitting outside and is cold soaked, no lingering heat sources like a warm engine or stuff in the bays.

No breeze to speak of.

Stock roof, stock walls, stock double pane windows. Coach is pretty much open front to back, 2 roof airs on the roof, the whole roof covered in snow, (pretty much the same as my picture over there in the margin) so no clear path for lingering air currents.

Working during the night, so as to get the interference of that pesky sunshine out of the way.

Here's some data:

First attempt:

On one heater (because I plugged the other two into one circuit...) ahem...

in 4 hours, the single had the interior at 12 degrees and the outside steady at 0 degrees.

ok, get it working right and continue...

On 3 heaters, in another 5 hours, inside 41 degrees, outside warmed up to 10 degrees by morning.

Second attempt from stone cold:

With 4 heaters, outside temp steady at 0 degrees:

2 1/2 hours: 43 degrees inside
4 hours: 45 degrees inside
5 hours: 48 degrees inside
6 1/2 hours: 52 degrees inside

and with the novelty worn off, and the electric meter spinning and no government grant to fund this research assignment, I unplugged the lot and went to bed.

Yes, I should have waited for the temp to plateau...

So, someone smarter than me, does the data follow some sort of believable trend?

What else is this good for?

Some vote of confidence in the stock materials?

happy coaching!
buswarrior
marvin pack (Gomer)
Registered Member
Username: Gomer

Post Number: 751
Posted From: 71.53.153.91

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 9:36 pm:   

Duh Beats me uh!!
R.C.Bishop (Chuckllb)
Registered Member
Username: Chuckllb

Post Number: 1067
Posted From: 70.210.253.179

Posted on Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 9:48 pm:   

:-)...!!
RCB
Peter River (Whitebus)
Registered Member
Username: Whitebus

Post Number: 203
Posted From: 24.234.166.174

Posted on Monday, January 11, 2010 - 1:17 am:   

I can conclude from those datapoints that when it gets that cold, it's time to give up the bus and check into a nice warm hotel :-)
FAST FRED (Fast_fred)
Registered Member
Username: Fast_fred

Post Number: 1055
Posted From: 69.19.14.39

Posted on Monday, January 11, 2010 - 5:35 am:   

With 4 heaters, outside temp steady at 0 degrees:

2 1/2 hours: 43 degrees inside
4 hours: 45 degrees inside
5 hours: 48 degrees inside
6 1/2 hours: 52 degrees inside

With 4 heaters each of about 5,000BTU (and perhaps less ., depends on the actual voltage at the element)there is only 20,000 btu or so heating the coach.

Since most gas RV furnaces are 42,000btu input (but probably blow 30% out the stack ) that's still about 30,000 BTU to keep the coach warm.

So all the work and effort of hot spraying , re insulating might reduce the fuel cost , but not make the camper warmer.

Something to think about before destroying a functional interior , calling the hot spray foam guys to hand then a grand .

The biggest LOSS is simply the huge window area ,and time tested Warm Shades might be cost effective for those where -10F is the norm .

FF
Jim Wallin (Powderseeker01)
Registered Member
Username: Powderseeker01

Post Number: 63
Posted From: 208.68.48.77

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 11, 2010 - 6:26 am:   

Well last week here it reached -13 overnight three nites in a row while we easily maintained 77 degrees inside. By going outside and looking at the bus, I could locate visually every section of the bus where I hadn't had foam sprayed by the sheets of ice and melted snow cascading down the sides. And judging from the condition of the original insulation bags when I removed them, they couldn't have been providing much protection. For the windows, Home Depot sells a plastic sheeting that can be shrunk over the glass for about three or four dollars that is very effective without obstructing the view.
Ralph Peters (Ralph7)
Registered Member
Username: Ralph7

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 75.211.209.151

Posted on Monday, January 11, 2010 - 11:45 am:   

I agree with Jim, windows need covers, when I had bus windows, they were covered with blankets in winter during conversion, bus has original insulation plus 1in. foam with taped joints. Roof has no plywood, just wood runners and counter sunk taped screws an 1/4x4in. plywood bows, with 1in. foam over bus insulation. FRP covers cealing, 3 fantastic fans and a 13,500 roof AC. NO furnace, just 2 small electric heators and very warm even at 20 overnite. My center bay has a 120v. duplex on each side and a hole drilled to run a cord to heator in other bays,if needed. During conversion in Pa. I would heat the bus with a oil filled electric heator, plus a quartz heator, with snow on roof I have 2 ribs near rear of bus that melt snow. Now have 3 ea. 22inx48in thermo pane RV windows infront an 2ea. 22inx30in. regular RV windows in bedroom all have foam backed curtins.
john w. roan (Chessie4905)
Registered Member
Username: Chessie4905

Post Number: 1830
Posted From: 71.58.71.157

Posted on Monday, January 11, 2010 - 6:04 pm:   

6 to 10 dollars a day with six heaters for 8 hours use. Need a least 6 or you'll need to run them longer a head of time. 300 bucks a month? Or, just buy a set of Carhart insulated coveralls and work in the cold. Best deal would be to run extension cords to nearby neighbors houses and bury under the snow and plug into out of sight exterior recepticals. Temporarily cover outside of coach with 2 inch foam sheet. You'll save enough to easily pay for it and can be reusable.
John & Barb Tesser (Bigrigger)
Registered Member
Username: Bigrigger

Post Number: 329
Posted From: 24.183.21.246

Posted on Monday, January 11, 2010 - 9:21 pm:   

Yup, I think I read somewhere you can run 6 or 8 of those heaters off 1 16ga extension cord 100' long as long as you don't have any coils in it.lol
George M. Todd (George_mc6)
Registered Member
Username: George_mc6

Post Number: 952
Posted From: 99.172.183.72

Posted on Monday, January 11, 2010 - 11:02 pm:   

Actually,

All the heat would come off the cord, with no voltage left for the heaters! What a laugh!
KUTGW,
G
Nellie Wilson (Vivianellie)
Registered Member
Username: Vivianellie

Post Number: 423
Posted From: 74.4.48.228

Posted on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 6:53 am:   

Sounds like Global Cooling is alive and well. Wonder what new tax scheme they're hatching to prevent glaciers in Hawaii?

It's comparing apples to oranges, Buswarrior, but here goes:

Outside Temp around 23F (that's PLUS thank God) and 74 degrees in coach. That's with two heaters, one high and one low (1000w).

I have some additional insulation (but not much) and roof and floor are OEM. Comfy enough for my taste.

Coach heat? Too much... cooks me right outta here.

Wish I could get to some 0 degree weather and give you a better comparison... maybe when I get back from Detroit?

(Don't ask when I'm going to Detroit :-))

Nellie
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad)
Registered Member
Username: Jackconrad

Post Number: 1191
Posted From: 74.4.48.228

Posted on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 8:57 am:   

Nellie,
That 0 degree weather better be sometime AFTER you leave our place. LOL Jack
Buswarrior (Buswarrior)
Registered Member
Username: Buswarrior

Post Number: 1786
Posted From: 76.68.120.66

Posted on Friday, January 15, 2010 - 9:48 pm:   

No engineers returned from vacation yet?

happy coaching!
buswarior

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration