Headlight Adjustment Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2002 » August 2002 » Headlight Adjustment « Previous Next »

TOM MCSWAIN (207.144.41.148)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 9:16 pm:   

HOW DO I ADJUST THE HEADLIGHTS ON A PREVOST XL,CAN YOU USE A HEADLIGHT AIMER LIKE YOU DO A CAR?
RJ Long (Rjlong) (24.127.74.29)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 1:30 am:   

Maybe, maybe not.

Look on the lens - are there three raised "pips" in a triangular pattern? If so, then you can use the mechanical aiming devices (although they're notoriously inaccurate. . .)

I have European-code Cibie lamps on my coach & cars. The aiming instructions that came with the lamps say to use a location with a level area and a blank wall. Pull the vehicle up about 2-3 feet from the wall. Mark the centerline of the vehicle on the wall. On the vehicle, measure the distance from the centerline to the center of each headlamp. Using those numbers, draw a vertical line on the wall for each lamp, about 18" (45cm) long. Back the vehicle away 25 feet (be sure to back STRAIGHT!!!!) On the wall, draw a horizontal line at a height equal to the centerline of the headlamps above the ground. Both of these lines should also be about 18" (45cm) long, and should give you either two or four "crosshairs" for each lamp.

Turn on the headlamps, low beam setting. Cover one side, so you're only dealing w/ one light source. Adjust the lamp up/down or L/R until the "hot spot" of the light is slightly to the right on the crosshairs marked on the wall for this lamp. The distinct horizontal light cut-off should start right where the crosshairs meet, and be centered on the horizontal line on the wall. The sharp vertical rise of the light pattern should just about split the upper RH quadrant of the crosshairs at about a 30 - 45 degree angle, starting from the crosshairs intersection. (This is VERY obvious when you're actually doing this adjustment, it's a little hard to visualize while reading. . .) Cover this lamp, and repeat the process for the other side. If you only have two headlamps, you're done.

If you have a four lamp system, then you repeat the process with the high beam lamps, covering the other three as before. You do not need to readjust the low/hi combo lamps, they're set on low beam only.

That's all there is to it. Please note, however, that these instructions DO NOT WORK for US-code headlamps, as they do not have the sharp beam patterns of European-code lamps this aiming procedure is based on.

HTH,

RJ
PD4106-2784
Fresno CA

PS: Typing in all capital letters is considered SHOUTING, which I don't think was your intention. . .

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration