24 volt 6 inch headlights high and lo... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2002 » March 2002 » 24 volt 6 inch headlights high and low beam « Previous Next »

Dave Stone (64.7.25.147)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 11:32 am:   

Does any one know where I can find 24 volt

high or low beam head lights? Thanks in advance

Dave Stone
RJ Long (24.127.8.58)

Posted on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 12:43 pm:   

Round or rectangular?

Cheap?

OR:

High quality with superior optics and lighting pattern?

For the cheap: Call Luke @ US Coach 1-888-262-2434. Will know what you need at a fair price.

For the High Quality: http://www.cibieusa.com

If you do any significant night driving, you'll never buy cheap again. . .

BTDT since 1966.

RJ
PD4106-2784
Fresno CA
GeorgeMyers (12.85.15.132)

Posted on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 10:02 pm:   

The accepted wisdom for the last several years is that there are not any 24 volt headlights available any longer that are approved for use on US highways. I even wrote an article for Bus Conversions on how to work around the problem by using 12 volt bulbs. I looked at the site listed above and could not find any. Perhaps I do not know them when I see them or my searching skills are deficient. I would appreciate anyone identifying manufacturer and type number and a source to buy them.

A specific web page that tells all about them would be great.

Thanks
George Myers
RJ Long (24.127.8.58)

Posted on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 11:24 pm:   

George -

In the 4905 Operator's Manual that I have, it states that the industry generic trade number for the headlamps are:

4040 - low/high beam
5001 - high beam only

These numbers are similar to the common generic tail/brake bulb "1157" number. If they were 12v headlamps, their numbers would be 4005 and 4006. (I'm talking about the OEM round lights found on the four headlamp system used on 4106 and later GMCs, NOT any of the rectangular lamps.)

The Cibie lamps available thru www.cibieusa.com are not sealed beam units, they use the common H1, H3 or H4 bulbs avaiable anywhere. But they do have the equivalent bulbs in 24v, you just have to ask for them when you place your order. I also agree that it's smart to convert 24v headlights to 12v, simply because of the availability.

Aside from the 24v issue, the significant difference of the Cibies is that they feature much higher quality optics and the superior (IMHO) European-code light pattern. Properly adjusted, E-code Cibies, on LOW beam, will illuminate a stop sign nearly 1,000 ft away, with NO glare to oncoming traffic.

There is no way to comprehend this difference in light output from the same H4 bulb between the US-code and E-code lamps until you've tried them on a darkened rural road. Chris Christiansen (sp?) in Dixon, CA, sent me a note awhile back attesting to this difference, maybe if he's monitoring he'll jump in with a comment.

The last I heard, the only reason these E-code headlamps were "for off-road use only" was because the three little "pips" on the face of US-code lamps - where the suction-style aiming tools attach - are not on the E-codes. Had absolutely NOTHING to do with light output or pattern. This is a perfect example of a bureaucratic decision made w/o any scientific study.

FWIW, I've been running Cibie and Marchal E-code lamps since 1966, and have NEVER been stopped for a headlight violation.

I'll climb down off my Cibie lampbox now. . .

HTH,

RJ
Stephen Fessenden (Sffess) (63.25.54.224)

Posted on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 12:33 am:   

If you use the Cibies, there is no reason to convert to 12 volt.

H4 replacement lamps are small enough that you can keep a full set of 24 volt spares on board instead of hunting for them when you need them. Seems easier than converting.
RJ Long (134.186.90.40)

Posted on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 2:20 am:   

Agreed. . . Especially if you order the extras when you order the lights.

FWIW, these Cibies are NOT cheap - they run about $55 - $60 each plus the extra bulbs.

But then again, what price safety???

RJ
Dave Stone (64.7.25.147)

Posted on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 12:52 pm:   

RJ Long..Thanks for the input..Went with the Cibies. Thanks to everone for their suggestions. Dave S
Chris Christensen (64.167.236.22)

Posted on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 9:37 am:   

Hi Dave and also RJ:

Sounds like you made your decision Dave, which I agree with, but I'll go ahead and add to this post.

About a year ago I was going back and forth with whether to rewire for 12V or stay with the 24V headlights on my 4905A.

I didn't like the dim lamps on the 24V (not to mention the cost and problems with finding the lamps) and the halogen 12V lamps were cheaper, brighter, and I was leaning towards rewiring my headlamp system.

Then RJ Long gave me the run down on the Cibies. The initial cost was a little steap, if I remember right about $185 for the lamp holders, the lamps themselves, and protectors. But that price included four replacement lamps to carry in the coach.

I put on the system and the first real chance I had to use it was northbound I5 through the Lake Shasta area at around 11:00 at night. The low beam light pattern was great and when I hit the high beam switch it was like I had been driving with sunglass on at night and took the glasses off. It was as through I was now driving during the daytime.

The light pattern is very superior to the U.S. DOT standards and as RJ memtioned you don't get anyone flashing their headlights at you when they approach.

I'm glad you chose the Cibies and I'm sure you'll be glad you did.

Chris Christensen
Dixon, CA
1974 GMC 4905-739
peter (209.242.148.130)

Posted on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 1:02 pm:   

I am convinced, I will get a set of Cibie’s and stay 24 volt, but I still have questions.
When I go to http://www.cibieusa.com/cibie_main_frameset.htm I see I have more than one choice:
AI082374 5 3/4" E-Code Halogen Low/High Beam - Cibie H4 - $57.00
AI082369 5 3/4" "E -code" Halogen High Beam Cibie H1 $57.00 ea
AI082377 5 3/4" E-Code Halogen Low/High Beam (flat face) - Cibie H4- $ 70.00 ea
AI082378 5 3/4" E-Code Halogen High beam (flat face) Cibie H4 - $ 70.00 ea
Is there some advantage to the Flat Face?

BTW, if anyone is running the big 7” lamps there are these available:
AI082440 7" "E-code" Halogen Low / High Beam Cibie H4 $57.00 ea.
AI082438 7" "E-code" Halogen Low / High Beam Cibie H4 with European Parking Lamp $59.00 ea.

Peter
RJ Long (24.127.8.58)

Posted on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 10:30 pm:   

Peter -

The "flat face" lamps are similar to the OEM lamps found on early '90s BMWs. TTBOMK, there's no real difference in the light pattern, just styling.

Note that the 5 3/4" round lamps are also available with the European parking lamps.

And for those readers who have rectangular lamps on the front, Cibie also makes E-code replacements for you, too! For both four-lamp and two-lamp applications.

RJ
FAST FRED (209.26.87.44)

Posted on Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 5:37 am:   

When I Switched to Halogen , The unit that had hi lo , fit , but the other unit would not fit in the front , too deep.

Do you have two halogen or 4 halogen up front?

FAST FRED

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration