Bus Floor Plans Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2002 » February 2002 » Bus Floor Plans « Previous Next »

John Biundo (Jbiundo) (64.175.36.28)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 12:16 pm:   

Starting to layout alternative floor plans, and would appreciate hearing any "standards" associated with bus layouts. For example, what is considered minimum width for a side aisle? I plan to mock up the interior in cardboard before committing to it, but would like to get a head start.

"Experience-based-opinions" on minimum size of water closet, shower, bedroom also appreciated. How about width of galley counter top? Also, measurements for typical washer/dryer combo, dinette, and RV convertible sleep sofa would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
John
Jerry H. (Coachconversion) (68.80.0.131)

Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 2:55 pm:   

John:
My wife and I went to RV shows and local RV dealers to get an idea of space planning. With tape measure and notepad in-hand, off we went measuring what we did and did not like.
We also visited coach converters and did much the same thing. I personally found (I believe) a 26-in. wide aisle the narrowest.
I haven't seen any 'standardized specs', but if they existed, only use them as a benchmark for our own specs.
Visit your local RV dealer with a tape measure and appear to be really interested in their product. The RV show did work the best -- no one bugged us.
FWIW,
Jerry H.
FAST FRED (209.26.87.39)

Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 5:44 am:   

The biggest decision is in the galley area where you need to decide if there is only one cook ,
or if there needs to be room for two workers to pass each other.

Most use only one cook , so the isle can be narrow ,
however it will LOOK narrow , and this will make the coach seem smaller.

It is easiest to use standard Home Depot counter tops which are 2 ft wide .
If you left the stock floor duct to run your heat and air cond , this will be about 6 in each side.

That gives a 3 ft isle , and by holding the splash counter back from the windows you can see out much better , while working.

The toilet & shower can be all on one side , so the plumbing and hot water run is shortest..

If you live in the toilet , it can be full width ,
two sinks , dressing room , head & shower.

Most have a door at either end so the room can be sealed as needed,
pocket door works ,needs no swing room.

If the toilet and shower are only for use,
both can be on only one side of the coach , leaving the isle and other side open.

Be sure to look at SMALL RV's if you need ideas on maximizing space inside.

FAST FRED

Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 3:45 pm:   

FF - what do you mean by "holding the splash counter back from the windows"? Do you mean eliminating it in front of the window entirely? Sorry, I can't picture what you mean.

As far as our "requirements": we will, for a while, be full-timing with our two sons. To meet "privacy" needs, I'd like to separate the toilet from the shower so wife can be in one, one of the boys in the other. Also, shower needs a small dressing room attached for same reason.

Just started playing with layouts, but so far, these requirements end up with toilet and shower on opposite sides of coach. This makes plumbing more complex, but I think it should be manageable.
Ace (24.28.44.126)

Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 11:02 pm:   

JB what kind of coach are you going to be building? We have an Eagle and we have a very big walk thru bath with toilet on one side and full size neo-angle shower on the opposite side along with seating area for changing! On the same side as the toilet is a vanity with sink and mirror! Plenty of room and still have room to add other things such as closet or maybe w/d some day!
If you need or want pics, let me know!
Ace

Posted on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 1:48 am:   

It's an MC 9. I don't think the walk-thru would work for us. With 9 and 12-year old boys, it's important that my wife and the boys be able to have their privacy, and that any combination of folks be able to use the toilet or shower at the same time.

I've got a plan that I think will work, but am going to mock it up in cardboard in the bus once I have it nailed down. The part that's hard to visualize in 3 dimensions is how easy it will be to get around the doors, hallways, etc. That's the part we got a little bit wrong when we built our house -- things felt different in 3D than we imagined from looking at the 2D plans.

Just looking for any other creative thinking that has solved this same puzzle.

thanks,
john
David & Lorna Schinske (Davidschinske) (65.91.136.195)

Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 5:08 pm:   

John, Try to allow at least 12" beside cooktop (absolutely not less than 6") and a wall. This will allow "burner overhang" room for some of your larger pots and pans as well as lower the possible damage to walls from the heat of the stove. I'm acutally ending up with 24" base counterspace on each side of my range but then because we have 2 bedrooms laid out in our coach we had to lose something (a dinette that we would rarely use). We are figure on custom building our "sofa" to be 5' long with a 24" seat (3" armrest + 21" seat cushion + 12" center table + 21" seat cushion + 3" armrest = 60"). We will build a retractable flipper table into the armrest. Regarding the toilet: try not to go smaller than 24". Try measuring your home toilet to see smallest space you would be comfortable with. You might want to raise your sink up to 36" high, this will save your back and if your kids are small then just use a small step in front of sink. Also we don't have windows in the galley. We have spec'ed a 9" deep cabinet over the sink with full (18" high) backsplashes so I can attach Wire baskets for spice racks, etc. Hallway works out to 30". Our minimum was 27" but I actually ended up with more.
Lorna
RCBishop (128.123.88.15)

Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 10:21 pm:   

For a commode, 28 inches is code..FWIW.
Jerry H. (Coachconversion) (68.80.209.204)

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 7:53 am:   

RC:

Which code is that??
Is there a specific code book available for coaches?
If we're talking residential ... 15" C/C is the min. I am aware of for a water closet.
Where does one find 'da code book for coaches'.

Thanks,
Jerry H.
Ian Giffin (Admin) (216.209.141.70)

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 9:53 am:   

Hi Jerry,

The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) writes on the home page of their web site at www.nfpa.org, "NFPA develops, publishes, and disseminates timely consensus codes and standards intended to minimize the possibility and effects of fire and other risks. Virtually every building, process, service, design, and installation in society today is affected by NFPA documents. More than 300 NFPA codes and standards are used around the world. NFPA documents are developed by more than 225 NFPA Technical Committees, each of which represents a balance of affected interests".

The NFPA publishes NFPA 70 - National Electrical Code and NFPA 1192 - Standard on Recreational Vehicles.

Of course, we presume that you and every bus converter in our hobby has, in their personal library, the most recent version of, at least, these two publications.

If you don't, it is further presumed that this note may have just saved your life.

Regards,

Ian
www.busnut.com

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 10:47 am:   

Ian:

Thanks. I know about the NFPA. Is that where the 28-in. toilet space width is found?

Thanks,
Jerry H.
Dennis Gloe (Tontorod) (63.20.49.67)

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 11:42 am:   

Hey John B.,
I would like to see a copy of your draft floorplan when you're finished.
Tks,
Dennis
Ian Giffin (Admin) (216.209.116.102)

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 12:43 pm:   

Hi Jerry & John,

I'll presume yes, but I'll try to get back to you re: NFPA 1192 - Standard on Recreational Vehicles. (I don't own a conversion as yet but I have access to all NFPA Codes and Standards through my real job).

Meantime, a rough sketch I have always had on my computer which I review every now and then, a possibility for my eventual coach, is attached:

This preliminary drawing addresses the issue of privacy in the head, totally isolating it from the rest of the coach. Both ends of the diagonally placed head have pocket doors.

You'll probably notice that most of the things discussed in this thread are included: Ace's additional seating in head and big walk-thru, FF's pocket doors, plumbing all on one side except shower, etc. I wonder if most of the floorplans ever created don't look somewhat similar anyways given what needs to be accomplished with 4 8x10 rooms.

John's primary concern appears to be total privacy for at least two family members at one time... I have seen floor plans which have two separate heads incorporated into the floorplan without sacrificing too, too much space elsewhere. BTW, the 2 heads were against one wall and attached side by side. The first thing I thought when I saw this arrangement was that this was living proof of the old adage that two heads are better than one.

Ian
www.busnut.com

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 1:52 pm:   

Dennis,

So would I (like to see a draft of my floor plan ;-)

I'm working on it, as time permits, but it's still only a collection of ideas, nothing concrete yet.

Ian,

Thanks much for posting your floor plan.

I wonder if my requirements are unusual, or if I've communicated them poorly? I don't think I've seen a plan that addresses them completely. Let me try to restate them.

We (will, when we travel) be four: 10 and 13 year old boys, my wife, and me. One of the things we noted with many floor plans is that if my wife is in the shower, the boys can't use the toilet. Or vice versa. In other words, the whole "bathroom" can be occupied by one person at a time (given privacy considerations).

As we see it, using the shower must not preclude use of the toilet (i.e., they need separate enclosures). Further, the shower needs an attached dressing room for the same reason.

If I'm reading your plan correctly, I don't think it really address this requirement (I don't think you claimed it did, but just making sure). I don't think we require two heads, just separate enclosures for the shower/dressing room and WC.

I've got an idea for a plan that does this, but haven't committed it to paper yet. I'll gladly post it for comments when it's ready.

Thanks to all for the input.

john

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 1:58 pm:   

Hi Lorna,

Thanks for the suggestions and space planning tidbits. Very useful. I tried to post a response yesterday, but it apparently went into the proverbial "bit bucket". Oh well.

One thing I wanted to ask you about was what you'll do for dining space? If I read between the lines, I think you might be planning to use the built-in table and pop-ups on the sofa for eating space. Is that your plan?

I think we'll have to keep the dinette, since its secondary function is as a "school desk" for the kids. But since my floor plan is still in the creative stages, I'm very interested in alternative ideas. Especially those that allow spaces to do "double duty".

john
john marbury (Jmarbury) (65.100.118.86)

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 4:41 pm:   

John,
My brother-in-law (MCI7)put the shower (Neo-angle with glass door)in the master bed room with the
fixture wall backed up to the bathroom. All plumbing is on the same side, you
can use the head while someone takes a shower and both parties have someplace to sit.
Another idea that might work... he put a "bedroom" in the bay with access thru a hatch located under a bench seat in the galley. He's got lighting and a small T.V. mounted on the ceiling of the bay.

I'm using a Double Drop leaf table that will have a pivot point on the wall. When closed it will take up a 13"x 36" space. 1/2 open - 35"X 36".
Pivoted out and both leafs extended - 36"X 69".
4 chairs are stored inside the table when not in use.
JohnJohn Marbury

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 5:41 pm:   

We're doing a '78 MC-8. We're a family of 4 (kids both under 10). We've opted for a Queen and bunks for the kids. Private comode/shower area, with a common area vanity bowl. Kitchen features a 2-burner elec. cooktop with convect.micro, single bowl sink and dinette for 4. We've got a Flexsteel "J" sofa which pulls out to a bed. The dinette will also drop for sleeping. The front will also have 2 swivel chairs (shown w/ circles).

The yellow squares w/ crosses are the roofmounted AC units. The shower is 27"x34". The dashed line running 'coach' side to 'coach' side on the coach represent where the bays are below. The green lines are the windows.

There's some quality loss from CAD to jpg format (sorry).
Our refrig. is 6.5 CuFt with 120vac/12vdc. There will large pull out drawers below lower bunk, storage in rear suite and tall storage at foot of bunks.

I find it interesting looking at other peoples plans. Hope this plan is as interesting you as others peoples plans are to me.

Thanks,
Jerry

our plan

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 5:49 pm:   

Hi John,

The shower opening into the bedroom is one of the ideas I'm playing with.

Do you have a photo of the dining table? I'm not quite sure I get it from your description, but I like the space-saving part of it.

thanks,
john
R.C Bishop (128.123.88.33)

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 7:38 pm:   

Jerry, the 28 inch is Unifoorm Building Code in residential applications. So, when one installs a commode, the space between walls must be 28 inches, both directions. Think about it in terms of comfortable for anyone who might place their postierior on the stool. My remarks were intended for reference only and not to be understood as a "must do " for bus conversions. Since conversions are generally at the pleasure of the builder/ owner, and not necessarily for general public, I suppose you could use any dimension you wish. Resale, however is usually a possibility in all conversion units., so one might want to consider what might be...ahem.... ahead, as it were. (how's that, Ian? ...) :~)

If your 15 C/C is center to center, that works out pretty close, right? In fact, a bit more liberal it would seem.
RCB.
R C Bishop (128.123.88.33)

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 7:48 pm:   

Hey, Ian!!. Where's the fridge?
Almost as necessary as a commode, I should think.
Or is that it directly in front of the stool?
Convenient, I must say.
RCB
Ian Giffin (Admin) (216.209.164.158)

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 11:24 am:   

Hi RCB,

Fridge is right next to the driver's seat :-)

(Actually, at a 45 deg angle near bulkhead between galley and head).

Ian
www.busnut.com
Scott Whitney (66.214.66.193)

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 2:12 am:   

Here is my latest plan. I haven't made a differentiation btwn what is planned and what is already built. Everything below floor level is in place except the water tank will be moved to under the bed and the batteries put below. About the only thing above floor level that is actually built so far is the fridge and the toilet. Everything else is temporarily rigged up for use while converting.

Floorplan

http://www.dustyfoot.com/pics/MasterPlan5-800.gif

Scott
Dennis Gloe (Tontorod) (63.20.49.82)

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 2:16 pm:   

Hey Scott,
Your floor plan is very interesting, but I can't make out most of the printing and almost none of the demensions.
Tks,
Dennis
Ian Giffin (Admin) (216.209.116.171)

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 7:16 pm:   

Hi folks,

Great thread and let's keep it up, ok? There are a lot of great floorplans out there! Just gotta tell you a couple of things:

The image you are trying to upload to this thread must be running on your own server. You likely had some space given to you when you signed up at your current ISP. Upload your image to that space and use the "Formatting" instruction on the left for details on how to make it appear here. When you upload your image to your server, its location is likely http://www.your-ISP-space.com/your-image.jpg or something like that. You can find out exactly where your image is from your ISP.

Use the "Preview/Post Message" to review your message.
If the picture doesn't show up in the preview, it won't show up in your thread message.

Good luck!

Regards,

Ian
www.busnut.com

Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 12:32 am:   

Hi Dennis,

I was sort of undecided when posting the pic. . . I could post an image large enough to be clear and readable, but it would be so wide it would throw off the formatting of Ian's board. So I decided to bring it down to 800 pixels wide. My working copy actually prints out to about three feet long. . . What I have done is make a version that is 1400 pixels wide and posted it to my site. I don't want to embed it in this message for fear of making a mess of the formatting. But anyone who wants to see it can use this link:

http://www.dustyfoot.com/pics/MasterPlan6-1400.gif

ALso, I need to point out that some of the items in the floor plan have been built and others are only my current intentions. I have not taken the time to update and color code what is real and what is planned. However, the floor plan is starting to gel somewhat as things progress. Yesterday the fridge went in. Today the tub was partially installed. . .

Scott
Mike Eades (Mike14905) (206.62.200.78)

Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 9:44 am:   

Forget the commode and more frig. I took out the rv frig and put in a house frig. Lot's of good stuff for rallies and boondocking. Mike
Dennis Gloe (Tontorod) (63.27.107.125)

Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 11:08 am:   

Hey Scott,
Great, can now see printing and demensions. Tried to print out but my computer will only print out the rear half. I'll have to work on that.
Great idea on posting many floorplans on this site. BIG help for us newbies/wannabies.
Tks to y'all.

Dennis
Dennis Gloe (Tontorod) (63.27.107.125)

Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 12:20 pm:   

Hey John,
Very impressive, but I can't open the file. Am I missing a step?
Dennis

Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 3:24 pm:   

John:

If you need a place to serve your bus plan image from, email it to me. Then I'll give you the URL for posting on the board here.

Thanks,
Jerry
jerry@i-kb.com

Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 11:14 pm:   

John M.:

Your floorplan is found at Coach Plans

More plans the merrier.

Jerry H.
Coachconversion (Coachconversion) (68.80.209.204)

Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 9:10 pm:   

To BNO BBS Viewers:

I have a confession and apology to make.
Although not done maliciously, I did post and make reference (see above) to another website which I had created as a fellow bus enthusiast.

Some time ago I had posted reference to my website and was asked by this sites creator, Ian, not to promote my site on the BBS. Ignorance of Ian’s Rules and “Netiquette” for his site was truly my first and only defense. After Ian’s warning, I believe I was most careful not to incur such an infraction again.

Well, I clearly slipped (as pointed out by Ian). Caught up in the enthusiasm of seeing other people’s coach layouts and designs, I offered to receive someone’s image file and upload it to a host server I utilize, and provided them with their images (bus plan) URL.

I emailed them the URL, tried to post their bus plan on this board – but without success. I then made the fateful error of including this individual’s bus plan on my site and did provide a link where people could find it.

Again, I messed up. I forgot, ignored or just didn’t think (you pick) about the consequence of providing a link to another site – thus possibly redirecting this sites viewers. Malicious? No! Innocent? Yes!

As you know, the trivial site that I have created pales in comparison to this sites technology, informative value, structure and ability to [hopefully] pay for itself (I am actually not sucking up here BTW). My self-funded site derived simply from (as mentioned earlier) my enthusiasm and enjoyment of buses.

In closing, I do apologize to Ian for making any reference to another website -- however innocent. Further, per my email, will you please remove my profile from your database.

Thanks,
Jerry H.
jerry@i-kb.com
DaveD (206.47.98.151)

Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 11:21 pm:   

That's a shame. I printed out a copy of your MC-8 floor plan. I will not be following exactly the same plan but the information in your drawing is very useful.

DaveD

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 2:14 am:   

Well, I also posted a link to my site. I thought that is what Ian specifically asked us to do since he preferred not to host the images from his server? Did I miss something here? It never occurred to me I may have broken a rule.

Scott
Ian Giffin (Admin) (216.209.116.176)

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 11:01 pm:   

Hi folks,

As is my normal practice, I will not bring myself to defend the indefensible. Nor will I attempt to address myth.

However, this is just a quick note to let you know that it has always been the practice of this web site to liberally allow its message authors to refer our readers to other web sites containing resource material for the benefit of the bus conversion enthusiast community at large. A quick study of the 5,700 messages on this bbs will attest to this practice.

Inclusive to this practice, we gladly and graciously refer our viewers to BNO contributor Jerry Hankin's excellent web site at http://www.coachconversion.com. I further encourage you to bookmark his site and visit regularly, as I do. Jerry is also the founder of the Coach Conversion Web Ring, which is launchable from his web site.

Regards,

Ian Giffin
www.busnut.com

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration