Change engine rotation Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2006 » June 2006 » Change engine rotation « Previous Next »

Bill Gerrie (Bill_gerrie)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 8:26 pm:   

HELP
Has anyone ever changed a LH 8V71 to a RH rotation engine? I changed the idler gear and crank gear but can't turn the engine more then 90 degrees then it locks up. What am I missing? Thanks for any help. Bill
JR

Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 7:45 am:   

Since no one has answered your question, I'll have a go. The oil pump, cams, oil orifice, some drive gears, and sundrous other components are different between LH and RH engines. Don't know why it wouldn't turn over, unless the cams are out of time, or the wrong gears were used and it's binding up. My thought would be to post your question on the Detroit Diesel Yahoo Groups board. The engine rotation question comes up occasionally and it's pretty quickly shot down for the above reasons.
Good luck, JR
Marc Bourget

Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 7:59 am:   

Did you change the gears in an attempt to change rotation?

I'm sure I have this in my archives, but, from memory, I'm thinking you have to either change cams to opposite rotation or maybe, with inline DD's swap position.

I'm not making a definitive statement, rather trying to jog memory, (mine and others, Geoff and others will know fer sure!)
Dale Waller (Happycampersrus)

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 8:20 am:   

Hey Bill,

If you change rotation from LH to RH you must change the Cams also. If not when she spins over the valves will bind with the pistons.

When I changed rotation on my "Free" 6v92 I had to change the cams as they have different part #'s and rotation. I cheated on mine and used the cams from my 6v71. The rotation was correct and the cam lobes has the same lift size. They use the same cam bearings also.

Also change the oil pump. Then some crankshafts shouldn't be reversed. The crankshaft oil passages should be straight drilled (See through them)If they are that crank can be reversed. Later model cranks can only spin one way because of lubrication issues. They are drilled on a 90 degree for either RH or LH rotation only.

I hope this helps you. BTW thank you again with all your help with my repower. The V730 works beautiful.

Dale

(Message edited by Happycampersrus on June 08, 2006)

(Message edited by Happycampersrus on June 08, 2006)

Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 7:45 am:   

Thanks a lot guys. I am going to switch cams over today as well as the pump and a few other things. I was hopeing that I didn't have to remove the heads but no luck. Dale. Glad to hear your V730 is working now. Bill
Marc Bourget

Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 11:38 am:   

Since you rotated the engine until it "stopped" I'm concerned about possible damage. Take a good look at the valves. Try a solvent test. Best yet, remove them and spin in a lathe or valve grinder to see if they were bent.

If the piston top was "nicked" it should be polished out to remove the stres riser(s)

Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   

Marc
We just turned it over by hand so there was no damage. We did the cam switch today so I think we are going well now. I checked everything when it was apart and all okay. Bill
Marc Bourget

Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 12:42 am:   

Great, Bill

DD valves are more robust, but so are the other components that would bend them.

If you have the head(s) off, try a solvent test and if there's a leak, if so, pull that valve and check it out.

A little extra time now is much better than pulling her down all over again to fix a burnt valve and seat. (and maybe a cracked head!)

I didn't add previously that I'd check concentricity with a dial indicator.
Buswarrior (Buswarrior)

Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 9:41 pm:   

Hello Bill.

Up to no good again?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration