92 Gillig Phantom wiring diagram Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2005 » December 2005 » 92 Gillig Phantom wiring diagram « Previous Next »

William J Kluge, Jr. (Flx_a_bill)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 5:24 pm:   

Looking for a wiring diagram for a Gillig Phantom transit bus. I just obtained a 1992 Gillig for the engine and transmission, along with other parts.. to put in a much older classic. Componets on the bus operate at 24 and 12 volts. So, a source for a used Gillig manual or primarily, a wiring diagram would be very helpful. Thanks.
Tim Strommen (Tim_strommen)

Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 3:24 am:   

I tried to get a wiring diagram from Gillig for my '84. Ain't happenin... They claim that they do not archive the diagrams for the individual fleets as they are all built to the individual fleets' needs. You'll have to find the original purchaser and see if they have a copy of the original.

I'f you'd like, I can dig througth my notes to see if any of the wires you have are in my original wiring...

One thing to keep in mind - Gillig is all about modules. Each portion is mostly truck based, and you'll find that they used an off-the-shelf wiring harness from say a Peterbuilt to save costs.

Cheers!

-Tim

Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 10:01 am:   

Thanks Tim,
That helps a lot, Because, I may be able to get something from the Metropolitan Transit Autority it came from, bought it through their supplus department, and the person I bought it through was nice. That's something I did not think of that helps. And going through some truck stuff will help me figure out how some things were wired. Glad I posted something.. If you need something, let me know.
Tim Strommen (Tim_strommen)

Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 2:28 pm:   

No Problem,

By the way, I'll post early in your thought process that you don't want to remove the seat rails as they are structural (unless you plan on bracing the structure). Otherwise they are rock-solid rigs.

I'm sure that I'd buy from another transit agency, but I'd plan on ripping out all of the existing wiring and staring from scratch.

If you are planning on doing anything with the interior, I should have some good photos and can draw you some diagrams you won't be able to get in a manual (i.e. structure, mouting, etc.).

Cheers!

-Tim

Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 4:10 pm:   

Actually, the Gillig is my parts bus, so it will probably become one big storage unit... Lots of rust along the undercarriage...
It's just that I noticed that the charging system, starter and probably the AC blowers are 24 volts, while there also is a lot of 12 volt circuits that operate the lights and things...
I'd like to maintain a lot of these 24/12 volt systems when I put the engine and trans and things in the Flxible VL100, which will become my main drive. That should give you a better idea of what I'd like to do, at least at this time. To chat off board, my e-mail is bkluge@attglobal.net

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration