Prevost vs MCI, 96 vs 102 in. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2005 » July 2005 » Prevost vs MCI, 96 vs 102 in. « Previous Next »

James Hudnell (Tacnyc)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 11:08 am:   

I'm finally ready to purchase my first coach and I'm looking at Prevost LaMirage or MCI 96 or 102 A3 coach's.
I prefer the Prevost but drivers that I've spoken to said that there are to many problems with Prevost and most transits run MCI's because of the problems with Prevost.
Is there any truth to this?

I'm also concerned about the width of the coach, obviously I'd prefer a 102 in. but I'm considering a 96 in. because of possible travel restrictions with the 102 in. coach and the fact that the wife will be driving it. I notice that some tunnels and roadways have restrictions against 102 in. vehicles, do these restrictions apply to private coach's and will I encounter these restrictions enough to base my purchase upon it?

Thanks...
Brian Brown (Blue_velvet)

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 12:09 pm:   

I'd say that the specific bus you select is much more important than who manufactured it. Prevost, MCI, as well as, GMC, Eagle, Crown, Neoplan, etc. all made fine busses. Each make/model has its own pros and cons, to be sure, which you can certainly research here.

But, any bus make/model could be a creampuff or a lemon depending on where it was driven and how it was maintained. If the bus spent its life up north or in the Midwest, you should look for corrsoion from road salts and/or interior dewpoints. In this case, a southern Eagle might have less rust than a northern MCI.

Likewise, if the bus belonged to a church, for instance... some of whom seem to rely on Divine Intervention when it comes to maintaining their busses, you can expect some headaches vs. getting a coach off of a transit or charter line.

Be sure and read the recent "Wannabe" discussions regarding bus conversions for more info from the sage members of this Board.

Good luck!
Brian Brown
GMC PD4106-1175
Jon W.

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 1:30 pm:   

I hope I don't start a battle with my remarks because they will be biased.

I have owned two Prevosts. The first was a 1987 102" wide, 40", 8V92 power with the Allison five speed.

I now have a 1997 45" with a Series 60 and World transmission.

The extra width is meaningless when travelling. I have not had any problems in cities, campgrounds, road construction areas, or anywhere else I want to go.

The Prevost is extremely reliable. I have done 100% of my service (except for the replacement of my bus AC compressor which resulted in a fire in the 87). I have repaired my Jake, relined brakes, replaced air bags, brake chambers and replaced and serviced my leveling valves and ride height valves.

None of the Prevost systems have been an issue.

The 1997 has been owned by me for a year so I can't talk about its reliability over the long haul but indications are that it is going to be even better than the 1987.

Neither of these were hangar queens. They are both being run and the repairs so far are all routine maintenance that was to have been expected.

One thing I know for sure is that Prevost is just about the best company I have ever dealt with as far as support. I have used their NJ, TN and FL service centers and all have been helpful in every respect in answering questions, getting me parts and allowing me to talk directly to the mechanics for advice.

I asked two of the converters once about which coach was the better when it came to conversions. Neither would risk alienating MCI or Prevost, but one showed me a brand new shell from MCI alongside one by Prevost. A look at how each paid attention to detail was instructive. The MCI wiring and plumbing looked disorganized and haphazard. The Prevost looked like they spent hours paying attention to the details.

I'd bet most transits run MCI because they are cheaper.
Brian Brown (Blue_velvet)

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 1:46 pm:   

Nice post, Jon.

"with a Series 60 and World transmission"

OK. Now I'm green with Bus Envy!

James, I'd say that anybody poopin' on Prevost is probably just envious, too. No offense to professional bus drivers out there, but they're not always the best guys to talk to about maintenence questions... unless they're owner/ operators. I've sometimes tried to strike up conversations with my local transit drivers about their rigs and many of them don't even know what powerplant is pushing their bus.
Jon W.

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 2:13 pm:   

I think in general terms for a conversion which sees limited use compared to a charter coach or transit bus it is tought to go wrong with any shell. The mileage typically put on a MH is so slight compared to commercial service I think the issue becomes one of price.

I never owned a camper, tent, slide in, or a motorhome prior to getting our 1987 Prevost, Liberty conversion. We literally hit the jackpot because it was a fantastic conversion for us for 14 years until the fire.

It was during the first few years of ownership that I morphed into a mechanic on the coach. That really gave me an appreciation for just how well Prevost and Liberty had done.

With these times being a buyer's market good quality conversions done by major converters and well maintained can be bought much less cheaper than almost any do-it-yourself conversion, especially if you want it done right with all of the amenities that make life on the road pleasant. That being the case the most often converted shell will be a Prevost, followed by an MCI with a rare VanHool or Eagle.
john w. roan (Chessie4905)

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 5:10 pm:   

Has anyone that owns a PREVOST ever said"I wish I had an MCI of the same length/year" Two Dogs doesn't count.
Ross Carlisle (Rrc62)

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 5:39 pm:   

I really like the looks of a Prevost and haven't heard anything bad about then. I know that they are not as abundant as MCI's, especially MC9's, which is why a Prevost of the same year will usually cost a bit more than an MCI...That's why I have an MC9. When I went bus shopping 3 years ago, 80-85 Prevosts were running about 10K higher than 80-85 MC9's.

Truth be told, I really wanted a Prevost. I love the curved side windows....But...I am really happy with my MC9 now that it's almost done.

Ross
Jtng

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 5:54 pm:   

"Prevost is just about the best company I have ever dealt
with as far as support. I have used their NJ, TN and FL service
centers and all have been helpful in every respect in answering
questions, getting me parts and allowing me to talk directly to
the mechanics for advice. "

As I read that, I thought about the guy in front of me at Harbor
Freight a few weeks ago. He had a 4" electric grinder in his hand
and told me how great they were. He said it was going to be
the fifth one he's had in the past couple of months, all from
Harbor Freight.

I dunno..... but I don't want to have to know where all the
MCI garages are.

(Ok... commence shooting)
Jon W.

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 8:42 pm:   

JTNG,

Let me give some examples, because the Harbor Freight one you gave would suggest to someone that you have to keep replacing the same parts on a Prevost.

On my new bus I posted here to see if anybody had any experience changing the pads on the disk brakes. No response so I stopped at Jacksonville and asked them. The shop manager brought me back in the service area and I watched the mechanic change pads on a coach of my year. He took a lot of time to point out things I needed to know.

When my Jake acted up on my 1987, I never understood how it worked or where to begin trouble shooting. The parts guy in Nashville looked up the engineering drawings for my coach and told me which circuits to apply power to to energize the solenoids to trouble shoot them It turned out I had two bad solenoids and I replaced them after his recommended test procedure proved they were not working

When I replaced the airbags for my 1987 I shopped them locally and as it turned out Prevost had the best prices, and when I went to pick them up, they substituted better ones for what was originally on the front axle.

I know you were just having fun, but I wanted to clarify my earlier comments.

Jon
Jtng

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 9:08 pm:   

Jon-

No harm intended, of cuz. I'm happy that you know me here...

Everyone's got their favorite manufacturer, it's not a new
phenomenon generated by us bus freaks.. Some guys like
Fords; some, Chevrolet... Mom loved Kenmore; the wife
loves General Electric.. Every manufacturer has it's good and
bad moments....

Prevost always had a "glitzy" aura about them, even as we
passed them aside the road, back in the 60s...(har har) The
guys that drove 'em always had their head up their butt and
hung out together, instead of playing cards with the rest of us...
So Jon, some of us Eagle and GM drivers got a lil' sensitized
regarding Prevos..

The newer 80s and up models are all competitive, quality and
maintenance-wise. I personally don't think there's much
difference in that regard. I ended up with an MC9, only because
it was local, and cheap enough (I thought at the time).. Had
it been a Prevo instead of a "9", I'd have still bought it. I loved
the older Eagles (with the manual parking brake), but they're
gone....all but a vague memory.. gone..

Happy converting.
James Hudnell (Tacnyc)

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 11:58 pm:   

Hey thanks a lot everyone, this has been very helpful. I didn't intend to get you Prevost & MCI fans going head to head but it was fun and very informative. Now I just need to confirm if anyone besides Jon W has or hasn't encountered any road restrictions driving a 102 in. coach.

I've been following this site for a couple of years and I'm sure that a lot of you can relate to the odyssey that I'm about to embark on (Doing most of the conversion myself), it's comforting to know that this site will be here to answer the many questions that I'll have as I convert my coach to a home/office.

In addition I'm using Dave Galley (Bus converters Bible, Bus Wiring for Bus Nuts) as reference, does anyone suggest other books?

Since the Prevost and MCI facilities in NJ are within 50 miles of my home I'll stop by for a chat one day soon.

Thanks again and please continue.......
Bill Gerrie

Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 2:24 am:   

James
I have had a 102" wide coach for 21 years and never had a problem anywhere due to the width. You mentioned your wife will drive it. On this note I would seriously look at 96" coaches. They are only 6" less in width but the turning a corner in one is noticeably easier then the 102". It would make it a lot easier for her. The wider coach gives you a little more room inside but I have seem a lot of really nice 96" conversions and you don't notice the difference. Bill
Jim Ashworth (Jimnh)

Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 8:09 am:   

James- The only problem you will have with the 102 is tunnels in NYC and Baltimore. Most states have laws restricting the roads that a 102" vehicle can be driven but they are almost never enforced. When FMCA had a convention in Virginia, in the info packet that attendees got there was a letter exempting the 102's from the width restrictions for the 2 week period around the convention. Merely a technicality since the 102's roam the state every day.

The extra width does take up some of the buffer area around the coach between the lines (or Jersey barriers) but it isn't worth giving up the interior space for. You and your wife will get used to the extra width and not even think about it in a very short time of driving.

Jim
Jon W.

Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 2:36 pm:   

"Prevost always had a "glitzy" aura about them, even as we
passed them aside the road, back in the 60s...(har har) The
guys that drove 'em always had their head up their butt and
hung out together, instead of playing cards with the rest of us...
So Jon, some of us Eagle and GM drivers got a lil' sensitized
regarding Prevos.. "

Our coach on the inside looks like a whore house so you are correct on the glitzy part. (We like it after getting used to it.)

Prevost owners are so stuck up I won't even talk to myself so I agree there.

I used to belong to the Prevost Prouds, and I can tell you if you got grease under your finger nails you don't belong.
niles steckbauer (Niles500)

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 12:54 am:   

Thats all BS - I've been from Prudoe Bay AK to Key West FL - from Halifax NS to Rosarita Beach DF - anything from 102" wide to 45' long is not gonna be stopped or ticketed - quit making people paranoid - if its legal in your state of registration - it is legal in NA -

Jon - thanks for proliferating an ignorant stereotype - all prevost owners thank you -

You guys like to spread your BS - I'm beginning to think more like ACE - what the H*** is the use in trying to talk to you ?
Jtng

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 8:04 am:   

Niles-

Yeah, something does seem to be rubbing off.

I think if you re-read the comments regarding the "Prevo Proud",
you'll see that we were commenting about "bus drivers", not
conversion crazed fools. And since most companies now
have both/all brands in their fleets, the comments no longer
have any meaning, or not as much it did back when we drove
these things for the glory and cash...

Jeez man. A chip on the shoulder is like a sponge.. It drains
brain energy.
Jon W.

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 9:32 am:   

Niles,

I was kidding. I thought it would have been obvious.

I was not kidding in my praise of Prevost.

Jon
niles steckbauer (Niles500)

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 7:14 pm:   

Never mind - I musta been PMS'ing - Sorry for the rant - Niles
Stephen Fessenden (Sffess)

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 9:11 pm:   

I'll add my voice to the comments on excellent service and parts supply and parts prices from Prevost. The Prevost shop in Jacksonville told me their work is about 70% conversions now and their hourly rate is better than MCIs and way better than the RV shop rates.

Parts, service and resale are good reasons to pruchase Prevost. It is not a better coach, but you get Cadillac treatment and more people are looking for used Prevosts than MCIs if you need to sell, providing you look like a factory conversion. A few years ago, most busnuts could not afford the much higher price of a used Lemirage. If the prices are similar, you will love whatever you buy. Actually, Cadillac is not a good analogy. MCI and Prevost are are like Rolls and Bentley. Nothing in the world gives the service that those two bus companies' products give on the highways of our two contries. Mercedes is not even close.
ChuckMC9 (Chucks)

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 10:19 pm:   

I've been amazed and extremely appreciative of the help and treatment I've received from MCI. At the Dallas branch, both in parts and service, as well as online parts, *and* speaking with Fleet Support on the phone. They even got the engineers involved for one of my questions.

I think the big difference is that they are pros and deal with pros, rather than the consumer culture and attitude you find in most 'retail' outlets.

You're fortunate, James, as am I, that we are both close to facilities of both companies. Sure helped my comfort level when I was a beginner. Can I say I 'was' a beginner yet? :-)
Derek (Derek_l)

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 10:22 pm:   

Not till your bus stops trying to pee on fire hydrants ;-)

What happened to that update within 30 days you promised??
ChuckMC9 (Chucks)

Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 12:48 am:   

Oh. You remember that, huh Derek?

Well, that was just a phase she went through when she thought she was a tomboy and had to emulate the other gender. Like many adolescents, she was obstinant and sticky, but not stuck for good. A good long time of ignoring her and just letting her pout, then gently coaxing her with liberal amounts of praise and silky potions helped her past those traumatic times. She's now in the process of morphing from a gangly awkward punkette into a graceful and svelte princess. Well, early in that process perhaps... ;)
John that newguy

Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 12:57 am:   

Or maybe............... She's ambidykextrous...!
Jtng

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 10:10 am:   

Hey Niles-

Did you ever check this out?

Prevost beginnings; the making of the perfect vehicle for it's future occupants.

(Easy now.... just a little fun here)
RJ Long (Rjlong)

Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 10:29 am:   

James -

Buy what your WIFE likes! If she's gonna be driving it, you gotta keep mama happy, as you should know by now. :-) :-) :-)

Don't worry about a 102" coach. Once you get used to driving a bus, it doesn't matter. Suggest you check with a local bus outfit (skoolie, charter or transit) and ask to speak to whoever handles driver training. Inquire if they know someone who might be interested in helping you learn how to operate your coach properly, simple basics from pre-trip inspections to making RH turns w/o running over things. Might cost you a little bit, but what price safety??

(Spoken by an retired driver trainer. . .)
Jay Hud (Tacnyc)

Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 3:35 pm:   

RJ,

I just came to the realization that part of the reason for the coach is to escape the wife on occassion, besides if I got what she likes we'd be pulling another trailor.

Heck, she scares the crap out of me driving our GMC Savanna conversion van, complaining about it being to big and top heavy. I've actually convinced myself that the scrapes on the running boards match the paint design of the body and when they get to bad I'll just get another set of bds. and start over again.

Besides she usually only drive's while I nap (which amounts to less than 20% of the road time), I'll just make sure that when she has to drive it's Hwy only and between rest areas but I'll also see if I can find a course for her to learn to drive the coach.

On that note (and at the risk of not intentionally offending members) I say forget the wife! This is my thing and since it'll be my cash, sweat and hopefully not to much blood going into this I'm going to get what I want since road restrictions don't seem to be a factor with the 102in wides...

Regards,

Jay...
Jtng

Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 2:02 am:   

Chuckmc9-

As I sat here reading old posts in a more lucid moment, I
broke into a rapid, nervous sweat. I had assumed your rhetoric
regarding Derek's reference to "peeing on a fire hydrant" was
pertaining only to your bus...

Now, after a second read of your fluid description and dialog,
I'm hoping my off-hand comment was not taken to be directed
at any individual, but only to a bus, as I intended.

My sincere apologies, if otherwise.
ChuckMC9 (Chucks)

Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 10:29 am:   

quote:

I had assumed your rhetoric
regarding Derek's reference to "peeing on a fire hydrant" was
pertaining only to your bus...

It was, but hey you could be right. She is rather schizo sometimes, and who knows what her other proclivities are! ;)

quote:

I'm hoping my off-hand comment was not taken to be directed at any individual, but only to a bus, as I intended.

My sincere apologies, if otherwise.

I can't imagine how anyone could have taken offense at that, but it's typical that I can't imagine how people can get offended by goofiness.

But the salient point is...JtNG is apologizing for something? WooHoo there's a red-letter day! :-) LOL

PS: How dem AC's coming, bud?
Jtng

Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 11:12 am:   

OH Hey..

My neighbor (at the storage facility) went with my great idea
and mounted his AC units atop the escape hatch covers. Although
it worked and doesn't look all that bad, there are some problems..

The AC unit should sit on the roof, over the opening, as flat
as possible. When it's mounted on top of that hatch cover, the
extended portions of the air conditioner unit sit about 1-2" above
the roof surface. Leaving it that way would cause too much
stress to be applied on the AC structure, shortening the life of
the structure, coils and any piping that was not designed to flex.

Secondly, since the AC unit sits higher, it does not extend deep
enough into the interior. Modifications to the interior intake and
exhaust ports will have to be made to compensate for the great
difference (about 1" +/-). Also, the interior mounting bracket
has to be modified slightly, for the same reason...

My neighbor may decide to change it and do it the conventional
way instead. It's funny, but he started his MC9 conversion some
time after I had. He's been thanking me for saving him time not
having to make the same mistakes as me... (HAR) Now.... I
finally got to benefit from his experience!

So..... I took off the hatch cover. Drilled out the rivets holding
the rubber gasket to the opening's lip. Cut the lip flush to the
roof surface. Made a 14-1/4" x 14-1/4" frame out of 1-1/2"
square oak (Home Depot). Screwed it to the sides of the hatch
frame (and even with the roof surface). Put a sheet of .090 aluminum
over it (with a 14-1/4" hole) and screwed it down to the roof.
Butyl under it and "Plasti-Cote" over the edges and screws.
Oh.... while I wait to complete the installation, I made up two
18"x18" covers with a standard 1/2" foam seal to fit the 14x14
opening. A short 15" 1x2 and a 3" sheetrock screw into the
bottom of the cover, is holding the from the inside, keeping
it tightly down (and hopefully, the rain out).

So..... the majority was absolutely right. Don't bother with
trying to use the hatch cover for mounting the AC units. It's
actually easier and quicker, to make the frame and metal
cover.... And really the way it should be done.

I have two hatch covers and the rubber gaskets (but no frames
for them), sitting here. Yours free, 'cept for the shipping...
I get around, so if urine Florida and I'm headed yer way, I'll
be happy to drop 'em off..... And If you don't want 'em,
same offer applies to anyone else. Free. I just hate to toss
them into the dumpster..
ChuckMC9 (Chucks)

Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 11:24 am:   

Thanks for your and your neighbor's field testing of the concept. I'll go your way, and thanx for the good description. I'll do the front similar, but have resigned that my rearmost must be done the hard way, thru the roof, cutting & bracing the backbone. Someday soon I'll be looking for somewhere/someone who's done this before to do it or instruct. I finally realized that I don't have to personally do every. single. darn. thing. my personal self, the other day when I was trying to understand how to seam-up carpet pieces. No shame for me in getting pro's involved! ;)
Richard Bowyer (Drivingmisslazy)

Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 11:35 am:   

I really do not understand all you guys talking about your wife driving. I thought everybody got a bus so they could drive it themselves. I am happy to state that I put over 150,000 miles on DML and drove every single mile myself.
Richard
BrianMCI

Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 12:54 pm:   

Not that I don't doubt that Prevost's reputation isn't warranted but I personally think the curved windows of the La Mirage are ghastly...

Having said that, I think the H3 is a really sexy looking machine.

I chose an 96A3 because for the money, it was by far the best buy out there... Clean, straight and virtually rust free.

One thing that I particularly enjoy about the 96A3 is the fact of it's tight turning radius, tighter than most road coaches up until recently, and far tighter than both the MC-9 or the 102A3.

One thing overlooked in the MCI vs Prevost equation: The abundance of MCI's produced means there is a vast quantity of new old stock parts out there to be bought cheaply when fleets clean out their inventories.

Try plugging in MCI on Ebay motors and after that, Prevost... at almost any time there is 4 to 5 times as much MCI stuff as there is Prevost

Brian
Pat Bartlett (Muddog16)

Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 3:51 pm:   

Hi all i've been working around the house this past month and i sure don't like it! I was Eagle crazy when i first started looking for a bus, after looking at Torquesters site an Eagle converted his way was tempting, then when i went to Gumpy's site his MCI9 was tempting also, but i ended up with a Prevost, i passed so many of those on the road going to football games last fall that i started looking at them too. Prevost, MCI, Eagle, Gmc, the one thing i noticed is one man's opinion doesn't usually match anothers, go look and don't be shy, ask questions, when was the last time you saw a conversion site tear the floor of a baggage compartment out and expose that chassis, i haven't seen but a couple who have done that, buyer beware!.........But it is great fun, beats paying a shrink for the same thing!.......Pat:-)
Jtng

Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 8:19 pm:   

Chuckmc9-

Give Fred Hobe a ring. He's a helluva nice guy and is always
ready to assist. He tried his best to talk me out of using the
hatch lids, but....... so did everyone else, too!
Larry Baird (Airhog)

Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 9:20 pm:   

I think its like picking a wife, you take care of her, tend to her needs and she will make you happy. Pick the one that looks good to you.

Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 10:43 am:   

jtng, what size are those hatches? I am trying to find replacement hatch covers for 18 inch vents in my conversion.

Steve Fessenden
Jtng

Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 9:33 pm:   

Steve-

I'll measure 'em later this eve and post it asap for you.
Jtng

Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 12:04 am:   

Steve-

Hatch cover:
Outside cover: 27-1/2 x 20-1/2
Inside shell: 23-1/4 x 16-1/2

Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 8:47 pm:   

Thanks, Those would be too big. I am going to have to make new covers with a skylite bubble on an aluminum frame. It is a problem we run into when we decide to do it our way. Some times the world takes a different turn. It was suggested that I have an adapter made for the 14" a fan hatches, but mine raise from either end or both and have nice lighting. Another restoration project.
Jtng

Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 9:14 am:   

My project's been taking so many turns, I get nauseous at times...

Stay sane.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration